OpenOffice has changed all my desktop Microsoft Office doc files to OpenOffice

SnakeWithApple

Reaction score
Hi, I recently downloaded OpenOffice onto my computer - please don't ask me why, but I was looking extra features that I don't have on my Microsoft Office suite - but I noticed that it converted my doc files that I had saved to my desktop to OpenOffice files, so I immediately deleted the app from OS (C:). I now have the problem that I can't open the desktop doc files because the Apache software is no longer installed, so it appears that desktop files have been deleted with the app, or that Apache Open Office is the default desktop document app (When I try to open on of the desktop doc files, an open office window opens requesting that I follow the steps required to register). I have saved a new MS doc file to my desktop, and this won't open either. So please can anyone help. I have the important files saved in another place on my computer, so losing them from the desktop won't be an issue, but I can't have this fault on my computer, so a fix would be appreciated.

??

Sir_George

Reaction score
Try reinstalling OpenOffice and then set the default to the associated office app. Test before deleting OpenOffice because there may be another way to reset the defaults.

Vote:

Bastet

Reaction score
If you right click any Office file & choose ‘open with’ it should allow you to choose the correct Office app. If always open with this app is ticked then it will always choose that app for the file type.

Vote:

Ask a Question