Re-installing Windows 11 on a desktop PC

johncranmer

Reaction score
I want to wipe my C drive completly and reinstall Windows 11 via the reset process or via . I have one questions - I have forgotton my original password to open windows and only use a PIN

During the reset process will I be able to choose a new password. As far as I know this is the same as "Windows Credentials" which I would like to have so I can connect to another PC. When I try to do this I keep being asked for these credentials

AQ

Bighorn

Reaction score
If wanting to wipe the drive I use the MCT/Media Creation Tool, download and run it to get the .iso file used to create a bootable DVD+R or DVD-R disc or to use an 8GB USB Thumb drive which will be bootable, either method should not require a password/PIN when booted to. Wiping the drive will remove the User profile and start over. I usually create a Local Account as Administrator, best if not connected to the Internet to do it. None of my Win11 computers use a Microsoft Account and the only Win10 computer that has it will be taken out of service soon [hardware issues].

RogerOver

Reaction score
When asked for the password just choose "I'll set it later" or "I don't have a password" (I don't recall what it says exactly) and continue.
The credentials are not linked to the installation, but to your PC, so Windows will automatically find your credentials back and activate it.

Ask a Question