Saving Notepad file to folder no icon just black rectangular shape

Mike74

Reaction score
O/S Windows 11 Home 64bit

Hi, I’m hoping that someone can give me some help towards rectifying this problem:

If I save a Notepad file to desktop, I have no problem identifying at a glance of what type of file it is by its icon. When saving a Notepad file to a folder there is no icon just a black rectangular shape.

No matter what, if I save to desktop and drag to folder the icon changes to a black rectangular shape as shown below, I Know the file will open Ok, but I’m use to visual icons!

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
At first .. save below given code as <ANYFILENAME>.bat ;

Please run it and follow given instructions, please post results here as we can move to alternative method if it doesn't work :)

:: Joe Isabella
:: 01.12.2022
:: (e-mail address removed)

@echo off
set iconcache=%localappdata%\IconCache.db
set iconcache_x=%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*

echo.
echo The explorer process must be temporarily killed before deleting the IconCache.db file.
echo.
echo Please SAVE ALL OPEN WORK before continuing.
echo.
pause
echo.
If exist "%iconcache%" goto delete
echo.
echo The %localappdata%\IconCache.db file has already been deleted.
echo.
If exist "%iconcache_x%" goto delete
echo.
echo The %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\IconCache_*.db files have already been deleted.
echo.
exit /B

:delete
echo.
echo Attempting to delete IconCache.db files ..
echo.
ie4uinit.exe -show
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
If exist del /A /F /Q "%iconcache%"
If exist del /A /F /Q "%iconcache_x%"
start explorer.exe
echo.
echo IconCache database files have been successfully deleted.
goto restart

:restart
echo.
echo.
echo You will need to restart the PC to finish rebuilding your icon cache.
echo.
CHOICE /C:YN /M "Do you want to restart the PC now?"
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 goto no
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto yes

:yes
shutdown /r /f /t 00

:no
exit /B

Mike74

Reaction score
O/S Windows 11 Home 64bit

Hi, I’m hoping that someone can give me some help towards rectifying this problem:

If I save a Notepad file to desktop, I have no problem identifying at a glance of what type of file it is by its icon. When saving a Notepad file to a folder there is no icon just a black rectangular shape.

No matter what, if I save to desktop and drag to folder the icon changes to a black rectangular shape as shown below, I Know the file will open Ok, but I’m use to visual icons!

Any ideas?

Please run it and follow given instructions, please post results here as we can move to alternative method if it doesn't work :)

Hi, many thanks for your reply and I hope I haven’t put you to too much trouble, but your level of engineering expertise is way above my windows knowledge, I’m just a user of software and have little to zero knowledge of the method you proposed, I think I’ll stay with the black icon as it does work Ok. Once again, many thanks for your response.

Bighorn

Reaction score
When I see an issue with an icon on the Desktop the first thing I do is right-click it, click Properties then click Change icon, see if any choices come up. The default for Windows icons is in %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hi, many thanks for your reply and I hope I haven’t put you to too much trouble, but your level of engineering expertise is way above my windows knowledge, I’m just a user of software and have little to zero knowledge of the method you proposed, I think I’ll stay with the black icon as it does work Ok. Once again, many thanks for your response.

I cannot attach Batch files here, it's forbidden by the server .. anyway download the compiled one here and run it https://download.gg/file-15660884_9bac2d05b4defaa7

then restart the computer :)

dTTS

Reaction score

Hi Xploit Machine,

I had the same issue as Mike74 on my Windows 11 PC. Running your batch file resolved it. Thank you!

Ask a Question