Shared GPU memory

Joshua Royal

Reaction score
I have 8 gb ram in my laptop with intel i5-10th gen CPU,Nvidia mx 250 and integrated intel graphics.

The integrated graphics card has 4 gb shared gpu memory so the task manager already shows 50 percent of my ram is used.

Is it possible to use that allocated ram memory as a normal ram memory to run applications?

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I don't know why this rather simple question has gone unanswered for almost a year.
The hardware controls how that ram is used....you don't!

Max out the ram if you can, and add a SSD, again, if you can, for better performance.
Cheers
:cool:

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I don't know why this rather simple question has gone unanswered for almost a year.
I agree but will have to admit I simply missed reading it as I wasn't here at the time and didn't use my go-back function.

As with anything in computers it all depends upon the needs/uses, most times best to double the system requirements for memory and to keep the Virtual Memory enabled. If doing video editing or large spreadsheets/databases put in more memory, I don't do those but have my Win10 and Win11 Desktops at 16GB and Notebooks at 8GB. If gaming it seems to be best to use an add-in PCIe X16 video card or dual card rather than the onboard/built-in video adapter.

Different note, according to problems I've seen on forums it seems best to run the machine as designed rather than over-clocking them in the chase for faster computing which in the long run can cause instability.

Vote:

Ask a Question