Shutdown.exe works differently in Win 11

PedroUK

Reaction score
I created a shutdown.exe file (shutdown.exe -s -t 00) which resides in my System32 folder, back in the days of Win 7 and created a desktop shortcut in the taskbar.
I have transfered and used it successfully in various PCs and in all following versions of Windows, to 'shut down' my pc. However, with Win 11, installed about 3 weeks ago, it acts as a 'restart' command instead of shutting down.
I don't know if Win 11 has modified the file in some way but would appreciate any suggestions to resolve the issue. I have a touch screen Surface Studio 2 PC
Thanks in advance.

Grizzly

Reaction score
try this:

shutdown.exe /s /t 00

this works, just tried it. Just a different syntax

BTW: you can pull up the parameters in a command prompt by typing " shutdown.exe /? " (without quotes) and you would have gotten this:

Shutdown.jpg

Last edited:

Vote:

PedroUK

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,
Thanks for your detailed reply. However, I'm still perplexed. After changing the shortcut to your example "shutdown.exe /s /t 00" my pc is still shutting down and then re-starting.
From the following link:
The suggestion was to have just one "0" i.e., "shutdown.exe /s /t 0" but, when I created a new shortcut for "shutdown.exe /s /t 0", the pc still shuts down and then re-starts.
Maybe there is something on my pc which is causing a shutdown conflict.
My wife has a year-old HP laptop which came with Win 10 and was recently updated to Win 11. I imported my original shortcut (shutdown.exe -s -t 00) to her pc when we bought it and it's still working perfectly.
Any more suggestions will be appreciated. Attached are the properties for your shortcut.
Regards, PedroUK

Screenshot_shutdown 2022-02-24 114504.png

Vote:

Grizzly

Reaction score
The command I told you about worked flawless on my Windows 11 installation, however the same computer with a Windows 10 install shows on occasion the symptom you describe. So far, I have not found a solution yet as to what interferes with that command.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Works for ? In there, I have mine set as:me, also. I wonder if it is because of your options in the power settings:

1645767400386.png.

I do have this set as my default, I then only press the power button when I wish to shut down. I have used the same function through several editions of Windows OS's.

Vote:

PedroUK

Reaction score
From what I see in your reply, it seems you possibly have a laptop pc with hybrid mains/battery power supply. My pc is a desktop Microsoft Surface Studio 2 28" Flat screen all-in-one, which is only mains powered and I don't see the same options as you, but thanks for commenting.
I will try going direct to Microsoft support to see what they have to say and will post any reply here.

Vote:

BobC

Reaction score
I created a shutdown.exe file (shutdown.exe -s -t 00) which resides in my System32 folder, back in the days of Win 7 and created a desktop shortcut in the taskbar.
I have transfered and used it successfully in various PCs and in all following versions of Windows, to 'shut down' my pc. However, with Win 11, installed about 3 weeks ago, it acts as a 'restart' command instead of shutting down.
I don't know if Win 11 has modified the file in some way but would appreciate any suggestions to resolve the issue. I have a touch screen Surface Studio 2 PC
Thanks in advance.

I also installed it on my windows 11 PC without any issues. shuts down normally. did you create your batch file or did you copy it from internet?

Vote:

alexanderd

Reaction score
what is all the fuss about " C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0 " I have used it on win 10 and now use it on win11 with no problems and also " C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0 " to restart my system Personly I would delete the short cut do a manual close down and the re-install the short cu, It might help

Vote:

PedroUK

Reaction score
I also installed it on my windows 11 PC without any issues. shuts down normally. did you create your batch file or did you copy it from internet?
Initially, I C&Pd the shortcut from this forum to the shortcut dialog box. Following your post, I deleted my shortcut and then did a manual shutdown and restart. I then manually created a new shortcut batch file and desktop icon. When I double-clicked the icon, the pc closed down and did not restart. Following a manual start up I pinned a copy of the icon to the task bar. Today, when I single clicked the task bar icon, the pc closed down but restarted. After a manual shutdown and restart I then double-clicked the taskbar icon and the pc successfully stayed shutdown. So, is there a connection between single and double clicking and not restarting? Also, some show the shortcut ending with a single 0 and others with 00. What is the difference? As you'll gather, I only have a middling understanding of such matters. It is also puzzling since the same shortcut works perfectly on my wife's Win 11 laptop and did on my pc, previously, with Win 10.

In response to A, discussion of a problem, on a help forum, not unique to me, shouldn't be regarded as making a fuss. We're all here to discuss and assist each other.

Vote:

fdegrove

Reaction score
Hi,

The power button requires just a single right hand click. It's positioned to the left of the center of the screen.
No idea what these guys on techcommunity are on about but it doesn't match any of my experience with Win 11.

Cheers, ;)

Vote:

Ask a Question