Strange Happenings on Win 11

En!gma

Reaction score
Hi, First post here as new member & new to Windows 11.
It's normal for me to wait at least 18 months before installing any new Windows build so that teething bugs are ironed out, largely ( I say that tongue in cheek );)
I've been around computers for 40+ years and I have never come across this before, let me say I only installed Windows 11 for the first time less than a week ago so still getting used to everything..

I'd been on PC most of the day yesterday ( 13/02/24 ) and switched off around 7pm, watched a bit TV. Football mainly and a couple of TV episodes. Then around 11pm I went to bed. Around 2am I woke up, wide awake so got up and watched a bit more TV.

Then at 3.30am my PC booted up again by itself, sounds strange I know but TBH I nearly had a heart attack when screen came up with the Boot screen, then after a few mins it turned itself off again. Imagine my surprise when at 4am it did the exact same thing again, this time when the login prompt popped up I entered details and watched Win 11 spring into view.. All seemed ok after checking and I turned off again but this time I turned the power off at the wall socket.

I'm not gonna ask is this normal as I know it's not, certainly not on previous Windows versions. And I have built & installed hundreds of PC's over the years.

Has anyone else had this happen to them..?

davehc

Reaction score
Maybe not such a dumb question, but, I have to ask - How did you switch off? - through the menu or the power button?
Fwiw I have never experienced or heard of it before???😧🫤

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
As my old NCR Software instructor would put it, "don't worry about it, software will handle it".
When you shut down Windows, you're only shutting down the OS and not really the computer itself. Your PSU is still powered up and providing voltage to the motherboard.
Somewhere in your Bios or OS is a setting that's causing your OS to come Alive again.
If you don't correct that setting, the only way to keep your computer OFF is to plug it into a switchable Power Strip. It's really better for your computer, if you'll just do that. And, at least the better Power Strips have Surge Suppression, spike protection, and RFI protection.

Once you've told Windows to Shut Down, and the lights go out and the fans stop, then switch OFF the power, and you can be assured that your PC will not come back on by itself.

good luck,
Shadow :cool:

davehc

Reaction score
On investigation, it seems that many have experienced it in Windows 11, so my assumption was in error.

Ms he pages reccomend this:
Check and follow these steps:
1. Right click the start icon and select Device manager
.2. Select Power options. in the upper left portion select "Choose what the power buttons do". Then click on "Change settings that are currently l
Check and follow these steps:
1. Right click the start icon and select Device manager
.2. Select Power options. in the upper left portion select "Choose what the power buttons do". Then click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable."
3. Under Shutdown settings remove the check for the box to Fast turn on fast startup (Recommended).

IF this will not solve it, next will be :
1. right click the start icon, and, in the run box, type in regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > SessionManager > Power.
3. Set the value of HiberbootEnabled to 0. (Probably already there by default)

unavailable."
3. Under Shutdown settings remove the check for the box to Fast turn on fast startup (Recommended).

IF this will not solve it, next will be :
1. Right click the start icon, and, in the run box, type in regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > SessionManager > Power.
3. Set the value of HiberbootEnabled to 0. (Probably already there by default)
Readers seem to be satisified that this did the trick??

Sir_George

Reaction score
Maybe not such a dumb question, but, I have to ask - How did you switch off? - through the menu or the power button?
In the original post, I believe the answer is "I turned off again but this time I turned the power off at the wall socket."

davehc

Reaction score
It looks like it is the fast startup is the problem.
It prevents the computer from seitching off totally and instead pits it into a kind of standby mode.
I believe the op may have silved the problem through another forum😮‍💨😭😔

En!gma

Reaction score
I closed down as I always do through the menu Close Down function... Not the power Button..
Thanks for the reply..(y)

En!gma

Reaction score
It looks like it is the fast startup is the problem.
It prevents the computer from seitching off totally and instead pits it into a kind of standby mode.
I believe the op may have silved the problem through another forum😮‍💨😭😔
I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX V2 Mobo and fast boot is turned off by default bios, I go through all the bios when setting up a new build..
:):) I hadn't sorted it via another forum tbh, but hadn't experienced it again... I sat up till early hours for 3 nights in a row and it hasn't happened again.
Again thanks for taking the time & effort to reply, Cheers.(y)

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
You DO know about the "Quick Shutdown" shortcut, don't you?

It still uses Windows own "Shutdown.exe" but with switches to make it faster and more efficient.

just make This shortcut on your desktop or taskbar. (for a One Click Shutdown)

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 1

Yes, there are three spaces in that command line.
Cheers mate,
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question