HID-compliant mouse, they are labeled.

Still constantly seeing the revolving circular cursor or
"busy" indicator intermittently

Any suggestions?

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
So, what I know of mice is vast and have a story about "mice in the boat"
.... perhaps another time.

I know a little about hardware and drivers. for your keyboard, mouse and monitor there is actually more drivers than you may be aware of and in different places.
If you were to pitch your hard drive in a river and get a shiny new one, you would be able to use your input and monitor via drivers that are in the bios, these drivers are generic and work before there is an operating system that manages storage that allocates space for, and the ability to use, hardware brand specific drivers. The bios is on your motherboard.

Then, you have an Operating System that also will have generic input and display drivers, often imbedded in the root or kernel that the OS utilizes so you can interface before brand specific drivers are installed and generally, least in my experience, you would have to be in the prompt to access or alter these, I suspect its best not to unless you have a specific reason.

Then, on "plug and play" operating systems like windows, the OS will detect specific hardware and install the drivers it believes is best and actually most often does a fair job of it.

...and finally, you may have hardware that requires or benefits from drivers that may be acquired manually.
if a device is not happy you can start with checking for conflicts andor properties note which of the many available drivers the one the device is actually using and research if there is a better choice. if the simple update option is not working proper you may have to dig deeper as in permissions /admin / settings to see the hidden things and sort about.

Then there is the possibility that the hardware is the issue...

...If the hardware is branded, personally I would start with the mfg. and see what they say about software.

peace~ ac

Phoenix

Reaction score
Okay.
Here's a new wrinkle.
Took my mouse off of the pc
It was a wireless mouse.
Battery powered by rechargeable battery, alternate cable to usb port
Removed it, all its software, all drivers

Went as far as removing ALL mouse drivers
Put in an old school, simple wired mouse
Restarted pc
Now there's FOUR mouse drivers, all listed as
HID-compliant mouse,
each driver signed as Microsoft.

Scratching my shiny head

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
...you are crackin me up phoenix...

So, depending on how exactly and from where you attempt to "remove" these drivers that you seem to have a vendetta against,
I am going to imagine you may only be succeeding in making copies.

mine looks like this:

1642393339903.png

A driver it seems is in reality a package of software. I note in my mouse driver there are not any files with duplicate names or paths.

I personally would not concern myself with stuff I found in files, I doubt a few thousand "drivers" add up to more than a mb or so. as long as their presence is not causing any conflicts.

I suspect you are having a couple issues, ...One is I believe you think the blue swirlie "working" thingie is avoidable... I am pretty sure you are going to experience it at least for a fraction of a second every so often no matter how streamlined, so to speak, your system is,
It is far more a product of applications working or attempting too and background operations than your mouse.

Another is I am quite sure no matter what you do when you attach an input device the windows is going to detect it and install some generic drivers, I recall a time when you used to get an option whether or not you wanted the os to install drivers and you had to have the alternate drivers ready on some media to do it. not sure now....

...but I do know, let's say, you settle on whichever mouse you are going to use... plug it in...
(here I always recommend shut off sys attach device and boot sys...just seems to work better)
and then go to the device manager and chose that mouse and choose properties and observe what drivers are actually being used... then if, let's say, you have a space mouse pro or a mad catz gaming device and you want specific drivers you could go to mfg. and get em. ...you could also just try the native driver update tool and see if the system believes there is a better choice than the system chose from its library.

as far as what may be the collection of duplicate files ... lol... I suspect once you have settled on the mouse and driver you could check if you had files that are identical and have identical paths and if so perhaps checking the properties would inform you of the date created and utilization status and depending could maybe even be tidied up.

peace~

davehc

Reaction score
FWIW:
A similar set up to your own. No action from me. Windows used the built in mouse.

1642398058516.png

Phoenix

Reaction score
The blue swirly appears for a Minimum of 30 seconds.
Here's my driver image:
1642424903464.png

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
howsit phoenix?

so it looks as if your computer believes you have installed four mice's.. (meece?)

start by clik each one individually and view properties of each.. one at a time..

the general tab should say if device is working and possible conflicts,
look at driver tab and note driver details.. this should display the actual software the device is using.
the details tab should describe the actual device.
the events tab will have date time records and perhaps recommendation.
also.. the view all events switch is able to open a window with more detailed info if needed.

reckon I would start with no need to open event viewer just yet,,
..just go through the 4 virtual mice that are listed in the devices using/viewing properties for each and note the dates and also if they are indeed duplicates of each other.
if the case is one is being used and the others are not. disable those that are not.

if in general/ status they all appear to be working or if there are conflicts or whatever..
identify which of the 4 is the oldest and disable through actions the other 3

it hardly matters which of your mice you actually have hooked up but I would suggest use the one the operating system first became aware of if you are disabling all but the oldest device or the one you have hooked up if you are disabling all but the one that is being used.

do a full shutdown and restart then have a peek at devices and chose the one mouse that you didn't disable and view properties noting if everything seems in order.. do not yet react to any message in information that suggests action...
at this stage you are just wanting the os to recognize the fact you have the mouse and its listed in devices and working and there is a software package for it under driver/driver details of properties of that device.

hopefully the other three mice in devices stayed disabled through this process. this would indicate you paired the device with the software.

at that point you may be able to remove the disabled mice through the actions tab...

if that works reboot and check the things ..hopefully you have one mouse listed in devices...

then would be the time to hook up whatever device you actually wish to use if that is the case and or pursuing driver updates for your device.

all that and I am thinking your blue swirlie is to be sure unusual, but I would be surprised if it is the mouse issue.. guess we will see.

~peace

Phoenix

Reaction score
Followed your advice
Before reboot, removed all software for wireless mouse from pc
Connected old school wired mouse
Rebooted
Good news: The blue swirlie is gone
Bad news: 4 drivers reinstalled, all entirely identical. (See screen shot)

1642456722402.png

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
Heya Phoenix..

So, seems there is a lil confusion friend.. when you open the device manager and choose mice and other...
...what you are seeing there 4 times is your hardware ... lol your device/s.
it has cloned itself 4 times I suspect, or... you goofin around with things has virtually installed 4 mice.

In order to see the "drivers" you would clik one of the four and open the properties of the one you choose and see...
The last message I sent was assuming you were aware of the fact you are seeing 4 devices not 4 drivers and how to get the devices you are not using removed. ...pretty much see the last message to do that.

The Idea is to identify which of the 4 is the one you are using and first disable then remove the 3 you are not...

Now keep in mind there is no harm in having 4 mice installed.. as long as those devices are not exact duplicates in that they made themselves because you removed a device that was being used in which case the system would most likely just put it back...

Like say you had several printers at home and you used differnt ones for differnt stuffs.. in devices you would see several printers the same way you see 4 mice now, as mice are often generic you see them named the same where the printers may all be specifically named or not.
What you are seeing is your computers belief that you have 4 mice.
The above instructions were to identify which would / could be removed and keep the one that is actually hooked up working.

...are we on the same page yet?

Had a peek at your link.. wow you are a prolific writer. ...wana collaborate on a book I been turnin over in my head a few decades? basically I need a writer to transform my native pidgeon slang into a book about "common sense for the astrophysicist"

~peace

davehc

Reaction score
I would suggest you delete all the drivers listed in the device manger. Delete/uninstall the mouse .
Plug in the mouse you wish to use and reboot.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
I would suggest you delete all the drivers listed in the device manger. Delete/uninstall the mouse .
Plug in the mouse you wish to use and reboot.

Ummm.. did you read anything in this thread at all davehc?

..Pretty sure exactly what you suggested is what started Phoenix's issue as clearly it has not been established phoenix understands that he is referring to "devices" when he mentions "drivers"
Bad news: 4 drivers reinstalled, all entirely identical. (See screen shot)

and again... do not delete anything before disabling it and noting reaction... after investigating via properties all 4 devices attempting to determine which is actually being used as described in:
so it looks as if your computer believes you have installed four mice's.. (meece?)
...that reply I made. ... if you "delete" a device you are using and the windows detects it on startup it may duplicated the device. ...which is most likely what caused your devices to detect the same mouse as four separate devices, if that is the case.

I described the proper method to determine what exactly is each of those devices as in if they are merely duplicates created by the system or if they are actual separate devices due to having plugged in different mouses and which if any of the four "devices" not "drivers" can / should be removed.

~nomenclature is a thing...

davehc

Reaction score
“did you read anything in this thread at all davehc?”
I confess - not all. Old age:confused:. Got rather lost on your long explanations and only read that the op still had the initial problem.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
lol... all good friend.

I only make "long" explanations with clarity in mind.

Note.. in this thread it was 4 days and 12 hours and 5 posts to discover that phoenix was saying "driver" when he meant "device"

sometimes just gettin on the same page is chores.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Wow.
You wrot
Ummm.. did you read anything in this thread at all davehc?

..Pretty sure exactly what you suggested is what started Phoenix's issue as clearly it has not been established phoenix understands that he is referring to "devices" when he mentions "drivers"

and again... do not delete anything before disabling it and noting reaction... after investigating via properties all 4 devices attempting to determine which is actually being used as described in:

...that reply I made. ... if you "delete" a device you are using and the windows detects it on startup it may duplicated the device. ...which is most likely what caused your devices to detect the same mouse as four separate devices, if that is the case.

I described the proper method to determine what exactly is each of those devices as in if they are merely duplicates created by the system or if they are actual separate devices due to having plugged in different mouses and which if any of the four "devices" not "drivers" can / should be removed.

~nomenclature is a thing...
e more in your replies than I do in my daily duties. Yeah, I have had many offers (some serious, others sarcastic) concerning co-authorship.
Unfortunately, my plate is overfull at the moment, but I am honored you asked. Prolific is high praise for soeone who has put out only 1 titles in 2 years. I am slowly getting back up to speed.
Followed all your advice and then realized....
I had mouse dongle from my very first wireless still attached to my usb strip.
(Forehead slap)
At the moment, Windows is up to date, all drivers functioning well,
mouse errors and blue swirly all gone
I'm keeping this conversation bookmarked on my desktop in case the problem reocccurs.
Thanks for your clear directions

Ask a Question