USB DVD Drivers for Windows 11

WaltH

Reaction score
I have a portable USB DVD Player (plug and play) that does not work with my new Lenovo Yoga Laptop running Windows 11. Windows 11 does not detect the USB DVD device. As with most new laptops that do not have an optical drive, system devices does not show a dvd optical device. Where can I download drivers so I can use the portable USB DVD player?

Grizzly

Reaction score
Where can I download drivers so I can use the portable USB DVD player?
most likely from the manufacturer's website if they even have any drivers which is not always a given.
However, this reminded me to check if my external ODD is recognized by Windows 11. Just tried it and no problems, operational in no time at all.
this is the one I have:

happyannie6

Reaction score
I have a portable USB DVD Player (plug and play) that does not work with my new Lenovo Yoga Laptop running Windows 11. Windows 11 does not detect the USB DVD device. As with most new laptops that do not have an optical drive, system devices does not show a dvd optical device. Where can I download drivers so I can use the portable USB DVD player?
I have the same problem! Have you founda solution?

Gtip

Reaction score
Well you can download the driver from the official website.

rcramir

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get an answer to this? If you have a 'generic' external DVD, there is no driver provided. Mine originally was 'plug and play' then suddenly stopped being recognized. Where do I reinstall the generic USB-DVD driver?

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
you might want to heck in the Device Manager list for "UNKNOWN DEVICES" detected and listed by Windows;

1670210097660.png

dmhcaspian

Reaction score
I've tried four different external DVD drives on four different Windows 10 machines, All were USB 3, and supposedly Plug and Play.
Not one of them worked. Sometimes they came up as unknown USB.
Sometimes they were recognised as an external Disc drive.
When I did finally get File explorer to recognise the drive, Windows couldn't actually read anything from it.
None of the manufacturers offer drivers. The whole point of USB is that drivers aren't needed.
I know this is a Windows 11 forum, but I need to upgrade my Laptop, and it is far form easy to get a new on with an internal DVD, like my current one has.
It just seems odd to me that Windows suddenly won't work with external DVS writers, that many people have the same problem, and that Microsoft never provides a useful answer

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I've tried four different external DVD drives on four different Windows 10 machines, All were USB 3, and supposedly Plug and Play.
Not one of them worked. Sometimes they came up as unknown USB.
Sometimes they were recognised as an external Disc drive.
When I did finally get File explorer to recognise the drive, Windows couldn't actually read anything from it.
None of the manufacturers offer drivers. The whole point of USB is that drivers aren't needed.
I know this is a Windows 11 forum, but I need to upgrade my Laptop, and it is far form easy to get a new on with an internal DVD, like my current one has.
It just seems odd to me that Windows suddenly won't work with external DVS writers, that many people have the same problem, and that Microsoft never provides a useful answer

in the Device Manager click VIEW -> SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES, but before that connect the USB DVD drive and see if the name listed there, if its listed, just remove and restart the computer for Windows to install automatically the drivers ..

1672549968479.png

Ask a Question