Weird Cyclic Redundancy Check error

Rick44

Reaction score
If I click on any jpg file in file explorer I get the message Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check). The hard drive and files seem to be fine. For example, I can open the file in photoshop elements with no issue. I get the error if I click on any jpg on a backup drive, even though I can access these files from another computer with no issue. ChkDsk revealed no issues with the drives. This seems to be an issue with File Explorer. All the googling I do tells me to repair the drive or the file, but the drive and files are fine. I had done a Windows Update recently, which seemed to create the issue, but when I backed out the update, the problems remained. Any ideas?

Sir_George

Reaction score
If I click on any jpg file in file explorer I get the message Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check). The hard drive and files seem to be fine. For example, I can open the file in photoshop elements with no issue. I get the error if I click on any jpg on a backup drive, even though I can access these files from another computer with no issue. ChkDsk revealed no issues with the drives. This seems to be an issue with File Explorer. All the googling I do tells me to repair the drive or the file, but the drive and files are fine. I had done a Windows Update recently, which seemed to create the issue, but when I backed out the update, the problems remained. Any ideas?
Have you tried System File Checker. If not...

The SFC scan finds the file issue and replaces the corrupt or damaged file with a new one. The entire process can take around 5 to 20 minutes depending upon the files size and volume. To run SFC scan, follow these steps:
Connect the storage drive
Click the Windows icon to open the search bar
Type cmd. Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘Run as Administrator’ from the options
Type sfc /scannow in the cmd window and hit the ‘Enter’ button to run the SFC scan
Click the 'X' in the upper righthand corner to close the window when the scan completes

Vote:

Rick44

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did run the SFC scan and it did say that it had found some errors and "fixed" some files, but the problem remains. Again, the files seem fine... are accessible by other programs, and accessible in Explorer on other computers. That is why it seems like an issue with explorer and its access of jpg or jpeg files.

Vote:

Rick44

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did run this utility just now and it did not resolve the issue. Again when I click a jpg file from windows explorer I get the Redundancy Check error. I can open the file with another program and it is fine. Here is the weird thing. It occurred to me that this may be a problem with the windows Photos app which is the default for .jpg files. So, I decided to change the file association to another program to see if this helps and when I go to Control-Panel File associations it cannot find JPG as one of the options. It is simply not there. When I search on JPG, windows cannot find that file type. It feels like I will need to try to Repair Windows, but am reluctant to do that since, I think, it means I need to reinstall any programs I have loaded. Something is obviously wrong and it is not corrupted files.

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did run this utility just now and it did not resolve the issue. Again when I click a jpg file from windows explorer I get the Redundancy Check error. I can open the file with another program and it is fine. Here is the weird thing. It occurred to me that this may be a problem with the windows Photos app which is the default for .jpg files. So, I decided to change the file association to another program to see if this helps and when I go to Control-Panel File associations it cannot find JPG as one of the options. It is simply not there. When I search on JPG, windows cannot find that file type. It feels like I will need to try to Repair Windows, but am reluctant to do that since, I think, it means I need to reinstall any programs I have loaded. Something is obviously wrong and it is not corrupted files.
Give the site link below a review and then determine how you want to proceed.

Vote:

Ask a Question