Windows 11 a success?

davehc

Reaction score
I am a untiring supporter of Windows help forums. I still roam around both windows 11 and Windows 10.

I have noticed, over the past weeks, that there is a marked drop in help requests in Windows 11, in spite of the initial gigantic surge. Even a l forum, normally frantically active, has little related to problems on Windows11, just load of associated drivel.
Is it possible that MS got it right? With the large number of correcting updates coming in on a regular basis, I view the OS as having been released too early - maybe because of pressure from the overlarge insider subscribers. It is ok, for me anyway, but not remarkable.
Just me venting.......?:unsure::rolleyes::giggle:

Mickey52

Reaction score
to me less updates with 11 versus 10. Most issues are driver based once you get drivers updated things run better shouldn't there be a driver look see from Win11 on your computers? Last update KB5008353 messed with mouse and keyboard like the one before, but after re starting it went away.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible that MS got it right?
That definitely made me grin.
a marked drop in help requests in Windows 11
We saw something similar, early on with Windows 10.
It just seemed to be working out of the box, but....
I think that was temporary, while MS was reloading so they could begin shooting themselves in the other foot.
AND
Windows 10 was very widely adopted as there were not any draconian system requirements.
Microsoft was hawking their installation base like the old McDonalds hamburger signs.
billion.jpg

Mickey52

Reaction score
something weird just happened, I woke up my laptop I used the enter key twice as usual then I had a blank screen. I used my mouse the arrow of mouse worked but no desktop image. Touched the power button opening screen hit enter key twice then a black screen no image of deck on desktop.
Held the power button till I powered down, restarted computer, hit enter key twice the image on desktop appeared. Only thing that has changed in my system recently is update KB5008353 yesterday. Yesterday that update messed with my mouse/keyboard setting I have a laptop keyboard has to be turned on to be seen. I have a Dell 15 7586 using Win11 Home all drivers updated, these are the weird little things that has happed since updating too Win11.

davehc

Reaction score
something weird just happened, I woke up my laptop I used the enter key twice as usual then I had a blank screen. I used my mouse the arrow of mouse worked but no desktop image. Touched the power button opening screen hit enter key twice then a black screen no image of deck on desktop.
Held the power button till I powered down, restarted computer, hit enter key twice the image on desktop appeared. Only thing that has changed in my system recently is update KB5008353 yesterday. Yesterday that update messed with my mouse/keyboard setting I have a laptop keyboard has to be turned on to be seen. I have a Dell 15 7586 using Win11 Home all drivers updated, these are the weird little things that has happed since updating too Win11.
I suggest you post this in one of the help sections. It will get more attention.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if it's partly to do with slower adoption, so there was an initial glut of tech-savvy users that upgraded to W11, but the casual W10 user (who may have more questions) is yet to upgrade. I'd be interested to see some very recent OS adoption stats, but the ones I can find online are either out of date or don't even include W11 o_O.

davehc

Reaction score
I would say that, for the ordinary user, with very little knowledge or interest in moving on, the assessments noted here are correct.
However, for those with just a little more knowhow, it is quite straightforward to install Windows 11 on an older computer which lacks the specifications listed by MS. MS themselves have published a hack to enable enthusiasts to do just that. There are numerous third party suggestions available now, also.
There is the overhanging threat that , in the future, there could be further difficulties. The rumor that updates would not be available, has, so far, turned out to be untrue.
I am running Windows 11 on , worst case, a ten year old laptop. No problems at the moment. I would surmise, though, that with my older hardware, I may not be getting the improved performance that newer computers might experience . - if there is any!

Mickey52

Reaction score
here are my thoughts on older computers I have one that should not have Win11. Most I have seen on the very few problems are drivers outdated related. I have a computer that is no longer made by a company that no longer makes computers (Toshiba) very little help no drivers in some cases available. It is seldom used runs terrible on Win10 someday will get buried in the back yard. People have got to up graded older software and hardware if they want the better Windows versions as they come along.

Brian R

Reaction score
I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, the company I work with wanted everyone to be using a "windows" device running windows 10 or 11 preferably the "pro" version. The person I bought it from installed Windows 11 Pro on it, and it seems to work good... actually quite surprised since I abandoned windows when vista came out and primary a mac user, have an iphone, ipad pro, and macbook air and love how apple has the operating systems working flawlessly. Hopefully I didn't just jinx this surface saying that... only had it since last night, but so far it seems like windows 11 pro is stable and does what it is supposed to. I may go look for a surface pen for it but not sure.

Mickey52

Reaction score
Sure, a lot less updates with 11 versus 10 minor issues with 11, main thing that causes problems is old drivers or ones that need updates. Once in a while an app goes crazy but for the most part 11 running better and better.
What amazes me is our phones get updates and new builds but do that in Windows all have a heart attack. As our needs change there will be more versions 12, 14, 16 get used to it all ready.

nocturnalpage52

Reaction score
you talk about almost no problems ?? my system is an MSI AMD gaming setup at the update from win 10 pro to win11 issues from cefos, onedrive, dll files not to mention win 11 would only recognise old versions of drivers then there are the bad statements in the software that had to be put right and still its full of issues i thought win 10 was buggy at first but this is far far worse

csphelps

Reaction score
Honestly, I think there are more people jumping the HMS Microsoft ship. Some, like me, who has had trouble using Windows 11 on hardware that was designed to run with Windows 11 are heading over to Linux.

I have worked with MS products since the early 80s starting with DOS 2.0 and was a big proponent of the quality of Microsoft products, for a time. As the quality of their work with each version of Windows started to be more and more buggy, more and more prone to attacks from hackers to steal information, I believed the quality and security started suffering greatly with the more they tried to innovate. Once they started giving in to adding all the extra stuff you really don’t want to a basic install of Windows XP, I really started losing faith. Once they took out the games and made it so I had to pay to play solitaire I was ready to look around for an alternative.

Right now, I am unable to get my new HP, that came with Windows 11 to do a clean install of Windows 11. The recovery install from HP works just fine so I know the hardware is capable of being recognized by Windows 11. Recovery works like it’s supposed to but not the clean install. So, I've had enough. I looked around and found out that Linux Mint was about the easiest for me to kick the Windows habit with. I have almost completely switched 99% of my daily computer use over to Linux Mint and only use Windows when I have to use Access or Excel, which Linux still doesn't have an excellent replacement for... yet. I was here looking to see if I could try to find an answer to this problem.

As for myself, I do a lot of web design and I found that it’s so much easier to check my work on the localhost on a Linux rig right out of the box, only having to install PHP and MySQL. Everything else I need to test in a local server environment while using Windows has to have about 20 different installation in order to do the same, and even then there's no guarantee that it will work after the next update.

Since my rig is among the newer in hardware, I did have to use the Edge version of Linux Mint, which they offer for greater compatibility, and it recognized the brand new hardware that was designed for, and came with Windows 11, and everything was working natively even at the install. I have to mention that the regular version of Mint wouldn't recognize what some of the hardware was without having to load a different Ubuntu kernel (the keyboard and the display) that was designed for compatibility with OEM installs. They people overseeing the LM build noticed the buzz on the forums about the problem recognizing newer hardware and had an answer within a month and offered a solution to fix the problem. I have never seen Microsoft do that.

I had to learn to be able to work on Linux Ubuntu server for a client that uses a Linux server. He is among many that are moving to Ubuntu for their server needs, going completely away from the complexity and the overhead Windows Server uses, which is taking away resources that could be used for clients and, therefore, the bottom line, costing more than just the cost of the software and all the supporting software going along with it. Most of the software used by Linux is opensource, like the OS, which I believe builds innovation and even helps aid in it's security, since anyone can look at the code someone else has written and correct any issues that can be there. This can't be done with MS software. These things, specially the security, is the core of a build of Linux is not built into Windows, which makes Linux the best all around OS for servers. With each iteration of Linux desktop it becomes even more user friendly along with being more and more compatible with new hardware, natively, as well as having little overhead in resources along with the same security built into the server software. Sans a desktop environment Ubuntu can be run off a USB and run fairly efficiently. I doubt there is any way to run a version of Windows 11 without the GUI. If MS ever puts out their code for everyone to look at and to use without cost then I think there may be more interest in MS OS, but until then, with the progress that Linux has made, Microsoft should be scared, very scared, their OS is going to go the way of the Dodo.

But that's why there’s less traffic. They are going to Linux forums.

Last edited:

seedling

Reaction score
here are my thoughts on older computers I have one that should not have Win11. Most I have seen on the very few problems are drivers outdated related. I have a computer that is no longer made by a company that no longer makes computers (Toshiba) very little help no drivers in some cases available. It is seldom used runs terrible on Win10 someday will get buried in the back yard. People have got to up graded older software and hardware if they want the better Windows versions as they come along.
Install LInux on the Toshiba, I Did, and it runs like brand new!

Ask a Question