Windows To Go removes activation?

kittensinurface

Reaction score
Hello, I want to use Windows To Go technology, but there is a problem. After I create WinToGo, it boots well, but then most of the applications that require an activated license say they are now deactivated, and I need that to not happen.
PC 1 - Win10 Pro source disk
Stick 1 - Aomei Partition Assistant > WinToGo feature > LegacyBIOS MBR VHDX type
Stick 2 - Hasleo WinToUSB > WinToGo feature > UEFI GPT VHDX type
If I boot both either stick on the source PC, then all the applications remain activated. If I boot either stick from any other PC, most applications are deactivated.
Before creation of WinToGo stick, I recorded host Disk Signature, and when I am not on PC 1, I changed the host stick Disk Signature to the source disk, but that did not help. I also did that to the guest VHDX virtual image, but it had no effect.
I can use WinToGo on source PC, and the applications are activated, then I turn PC off, use stick on other PC, and applications are not activated, power PC off, then go back to source PC, and they are activated again, which is very strange.
What detail about the PC is causing the applications to deactivate? I do not believe it is the Disk Signature, it must be something else. If I could fix this issue, it would really help a lot. Thanks everyone.

Bighorn

Reaction score
From what I get in the description of the issue is that WTG is reading the User Profile on the computer it was created on and that Registry holds information about the installation of programs and activation/licensing. The other computers it's being tried on don't have the same.

kittensinurface

Reaction score
From what I get in the description of the issue is that WTG is reading the User Profile on the computer it was created on and that Registry holds information about the installation of programs and activation/licensing. The other computers it's being tried on don't have the same.
Ok, that was possible, so I tested this by erasing PC2, and changing Disk Signature also. The result is the same. Could it be a hardware difference it is detecting? All these PCs are offline.

Last edited:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Not really sure [my ToGo thumb drive is Linux Mint] but could be the programs needed will have to be installed on the WTG drive. My Linux will allow installing and using supported programs but they won't be there next time it's booted.

kittensinurface

Reaction score
Not really sure [my ToGo thumb drive is Linux Mint] but could be the programs needed will have to be installed on the WTG drive. My Linux will allow installing and using supported programs but they won't be there next time it's booted.
In the Linux live world, is that called Persistence?
In my case, could the WTG applications problem be the change in the Machine Code?

Bighorn

Reaction score
In the Linux live world, is that called Persistence?
In my case, could the WTG applications problem be the change in the Machine Code?
A number of 'flavors' of Linux can be downloaded as an .iso file used to create the Bootable DVD. When running, a program in it called USB Image Writer can then be used be used with that .iso file to create the Bootable USB Thumb drive.

As for machine code, if the computer will run the Version of Windows it's then up to whether individual Windows-based programs need to be installed, most usually to put its files in a folder, put required support files in the Windows folder, create icons and make Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the program. There is a 'thing' called Portable Apps that would be useful on a Thumb drive.

kittensinurface

Reaction score
A number of 'flavors' of Linux can be downloaded as an .iso file used to create the Bootable DVD. When running, a program in it called USB Image Writer can then be used be used with that .iso file to create the Bootable USB Thumb drive.

As for machine code, if the computer will run the Version of Windows it's then up to whether individual Windows-based programs need to be installed, most usually to put its files in a folder, put required support files in the Windows folder, create icons and make Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the program. There is a 'thing' called Portable Apps that would be useful on a Thumb drive.
I have made many Linux live sticks and discs. I have used portable apps.
1) When a Linux live USB allows you to save settings changes and files, is that called "Persistence"?
2) My applications know they are being moved to a new PC, my question is how do they know that? Do they know that because the machine code hardware ID changed?

Last edited:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I have made many Linux live sticks and discs. I have used portable apps.
1) When a Linux live USB allows you to save settings changes and files, is that called "Persistence"?
2) My applications know they are being moved to a new PC, my question is how do they know that? Do they know that because the machine code hardware ID changed?
As I alluded to in my #6 replay, Windows-based programs are more involved with Windows itself than with machine code, can't simply move a program as all the other things involved in the initial install don't also move. The Linux LiveUSB is different as Linux doesn't rely on the hardware as much as Windows does, my installs on computers and the USB have never asked for drivers to be installed but did get updates later. I had an issue awhile back in a new [April '22] Desktop where Windows 11 wouldn't recognize the internal CD/DVD drive nor an external CD/DVD drive, testing with Linux Mint USB showed the hardware was good, turned out to be a Windows Registry problem in which the cure was to delete the entry.

Ask a Question