Can't change the drive ICON in windows 11

Dawntreader

Reaction score
I originally posted this on the customization forum, but I think it should probably be here on the general forum. I couldn't see how to delete or change the forum, so I'm posting it this way instead.

Windows 11 arbitrarily changed the icon in file explorer and will not allow it to be changed back to a normal icon. I have used the properties>customize tab in the properties frame with no results. I am the administrator and have even used the "hidden" administrator account with no success. This is a 1Tb SSD Western Digital drive. The icon that it was changed to is the update icon circle
1654216819814.png
rather than the usual one for a drive. I attempted a registry hack but could not find the appropriate icon file under Windows>System32. I believe Microsoft has changed the drive architecture and put the changed how the icons are filed.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Any ideas that anyone might offer would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not reformat the drive ...

Thank you.

Sir_George

Reaction score
I originally posted this on the customization forum, but I think it should probably be here on the general forum. I couldn't see how to delete or change the forum, so I'm posting it this way instead.

Windows 11 arbitrarily changed the icon in file explorer and will not allow it to be changed back to a normal icon. I have used the properties>customize tab in the properties frame with no results. I am the administrator and have even used the "hidden" administrator account with no success. This is a 1Tb SSD Western Digital drive. The icon that it was changed to is the update icon circle
1654216819814.png
rather than the usual one for a drive. I attempted a registry hack but could not find the appropriate icon file under Windows>System32. I believe Microsoft has changed the drive architecture and put the changed how the icons are filed.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Any ideas that anyone might offer would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not reformat the drive ...

Thank you.
Try rebuilding the icon cache. See blow for link.

Dawntreader

Reaction score

Sir George, many thanks for your input. My apologies for the delay in responding to you in that regard. We have been crazy busy here in the last several weeks so I have not been able to get to this until today. I haven't yet tried this but am about to embark on the process immediately following this post. Shall let you know of my outcome. Again, thanks for helping the way no one else has, Dawntreader

Dawntreader

Reaction score

Well, Sir, all is now well in River City. Your counsel is well received. All the icons are as they should be. No strange workarounds. The system cooperated and all is well. I so appreciate that you decided to put this advice on this forum. It has helped greatly. Please have a pleasant, safe and healthy future. Dawntreader

Ask a Question