Can't open photo files, jpg, png

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
The specified procedure could not be found. Photos open OK on 2 other Win 10 PC's

But I can open with photo shop, paint, etc. I usually "double click" or "open with photos" to view

thanks

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you go to settings > apps > default apps > choose defaults by type (very bottom of list), can you choose a new app (maybe Photos, or whatever you like) and see if it fixes the opening problem?

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
Found this which worked:
I too had this problem. Don't know what happened but the link between the files and the program stopped working (was fine after upgrade to 11). I tried all of the suggested items below that I could make sense of but none worked for me.

I was at the last thing I could think of, uninstall the program and re-install it. Unfortunately it appears that Microsoft will not let you uninstall this app! It is grayed out!

But in trying to do this I found the fix.
  • Open Settings from the Window menu
  • Select Apps (5th one down) in the left hand menu
  • Select Apps & Features (first one) on right hand menu
  • Do a search or scroll down until you find "Microsoft Photos"
  • Click the 3 dot menu for this item and select Advanced Options
  • Scroll down until you see the option "Reset"
  • There are two options under this; buttons to "Repair" and to "Reset"
Clicking the "Repair" button did the trick for me and I can not double click a photo file and it will open in this app.

MickeyM

Reaction score
The same problem here! For me the only way to resolve it is to remove the app via powershell and reinstall it. Than it works a few times, but the error will be back. I don't understand where the error message is coming from, because it's not with all the pictures. Some pictures will work with the photo app. Others will have the error message with the same file extension. It's the: "The specified procedure could not be found"-error. A fresh installed pc. It's only happening with pictures in the Microsoft photo app. I installed all the updates. I read many comments online with the same problem....

Just found out if I get the error-massage: "The specified procedure could not be found", then I doubleclick... rightclick -> open with -> choose other app: MS photos -> check always use this app to open .jpg. Than the photo app opens with the picture. If I dubbleclick (left) on the picture again, I get the error message. Strange...

I also really hope Microsoft brings back the 'un-combine/ungroup' option for folders on the taskbar, this is really annoying to me. I work with a lot of folders, it's not workable.. and than the search function has a lot of bugs (still)!! The (explorer) appcrashes come on Microsoft!

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
Back to the same SOS from what I posted above, can't open JPG photos again! That said after upgrading to win-11 has been the BIGGEST mistake I made.

And today portable brother scanner got error message can't be found! Now got waste time to figure that out!

rms

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I've tried repairing and resetting the app in settings, setting the default app for jpg files. Nothing is working. Still getting "The specified procedure could not be found." error. The file opens in Paint just fine. Is there a way to notify Microsoft about the bug?

Ask a Question