Can't create system image for backup.

Johnnyej

Reaction score
When you start backup with system image it fails and indicates not enough space on backup drive. After checking the requirements, the amount needed was 50GB. My backup drive has 300GB available. Please help.

Grizzly

Reaction score
What file system is on the backup drive?? if it is FAT32 then the backup file is too large as FAT32 cannot handle these files. In order to store a large file like that, the drive needs to be formatted either in NTFS or exfat

orlbuckeye

Reaction score
Not sure where you got the requirements but there wouldn't be any requirements for a system backup because every system in the world is a different size. So what happening is the image your backup is creating is larger than the amount of space left on the device you are saving it to.

Johnnyej

Reaction score
What file system is on the backup drive?? if it is FAT32 then the backup file is too large as FAT32 cannot handle these files. In order to store a large file like that, the drive needs to be formatted either in NTFS or exfat
The backup drive is NTFS, I just checked to make sure. The SSD is 125GB and the backup drive has 300GB available. Any other Ideas?

Last edited:

Johnnyej

Reaction score
Not sure where you got the requirements but there wouldn't be any requirements for a system backup because every system in the world is a different size. So what happening is the image your backup is creating is larger than the amount of space left on the device you are saving it to.
I took the compression ratios to make a system image and applied them to my SSD capacity. Still don't make sense, my SSD is a 125GB and the Backup drive has 300GB available.

Bastet

Reaction score
If you’re using the Windows backup then this has been deprecated. Even Microsoft recommend moving to third party imaging software like Macrium so I would recommend ttying this software & seeing if the backup finishes.

davehc

Reaction score
If you’re using the Windows backup then this has been deprecated. Even Microsoft recommend moving to third party imaging software like Macrium so I would recommend ttying this software & seeing if the backup finishes.
That,s ineresting! Where can I read that? I don’t use it, but good info to pass along

Bastet

Reaction score
That,s ineresting! Where can I read that? I don’t use it, but good info to pass along

Microsoft recommend using third party software:
“System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.”

davehc

Reaction score
Hmm. Oddly, that is the only reference. It does, of course, refer to Windows 8. As I said, I d not use it, but I see the path and excutive to use it is still in windows 11
It doesnt mention it again, since. Third party references don't either.

Not this official page:

Bastet

Reaction score
The references I posted are from Microsoft so the information is reliable.
Many find the inbuilt backup solution poor at best. In the end it is up to the user to decide whether or not to trust this feature to recover their system in the event of a failure. I wouldn’t.

davehc

Reaction score
The references I posted are from Microsoft so the information is reliable.
Many find the inbuilt backup solution poor at best. In the end it is up to the user to decide whether or not to trust this feature to recover their system in the event of a failure. I wouldn’t.
So was mine:rolleyes:

Bastet

Reaction score
To the OP: It is up to you which option you choose. If you accept that Windows backup is good due to it still being available then that’s fine. If you move to third party solution then imo that’s better.
I’m leaving the thread.

Ask a Question