Can't Move Libraries

Quincofish

Reaction score

Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. HELP!

Trying to change "Documents" library to my E: drive (Data Drive) and get this error message
" Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied."
Appears to be associated with OneDrive. Have removed folders from onedrive and shut it down, but still see Documents Location as C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive xxxxx being user name, and can't move it to the E drive.
Help is required,,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open File Explorer
Browse to C:\Users\YourUserName
Select then right click on "Documents" and choose "Properties"
Click the "Location" tab
Take a quick snip and show us what you got

Documents.jpg

You should be able to use the "Move" button from there to relocate your documents folder, although....
I seem to remember something, when I first installed Windows 11, about letting "OneDrive" host your data when saving (or words to that effect), so it may be that you either ticked that option or failed to untick it at the time you configured Windows 11.

IF there is some conflict while attempting to "Move" that is related, as you seem to be indicating, with One Drive, then you might find this helpful

Although I'm not sure if that is even applicable, as I'm not sure I understand what is actually going on in your specific instance.

Vote:

Quincofish

Reaction score
No help from this forum! Contacted Microsoft and they could not fix it, even using remote access to my PC. They came up with a solution! Create a new user and then move libraries. This worked and now all working as it should.

Vote:

Ask a Question