Can't install Windows 11 from USB stick

Schabelf

Reaction score
I finally decided to do a clean install of Windows 11 on my home built Windows 10 pro machine. I have installed Windows 11 twice before retaining programs because of the huge amount of work reinstalling everything, but I had to go back to 10 both times because a program That I can't do without would work on 10 but not on 11 on my machine (the CPU would peg at 100%) PC health check says my computer meets the requirement for Windows 11. Windows update offers it to me, but today when I tried to install from a USB stick, the installer says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I have tried several times, running PC Health after each failure and it always passes. Any suggestions? Should I try to install over Windows 10 again and then try a clean install after that?

RogerOver

Reaction score
+ 1 for Rufus,
I had a similar problem recently. You need to completely clear the USB stick (formatting, I even did the thorow formatting) before installing Rufus on it with the mounted (!) Windows ISO.
You have many choices with Rufus (installing even if Windows 11 is not supported, but the options are a bit hidden, so go slowly when installing Rufus on the USB stick).

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Duh! Why would you ever put Rufus on the USB Stick (Flash Drive)?

Rufus runs on your computer.... to burn an ISO to a Flash Drive. That's just the way it works best.
It gives you options to remove the Compatibility stipulations. Take all options!!!
Then boot up your PC with the Flash Drive, and perform the install normally. You should have NO problems, that is, if the ISO you're using is a good one.
For best Rufus setup, see attachments,
Shadow :cool:

Attachments

• Sample Rufus Setup.jpg
    Sample Rufus Setup.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Rufus Opts.jpg
    Rufus Opts.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Rufus runs on your computer

You seem to like word picking:

Rufus does not install on your computer !

1. Rufus creates 2 different partitions on your USB stick !
2. One of them contains data, that Rufus installs (I maintain) on that partion.
3. The second partition contains data that Rufus copies from the ISO file (the wim file) to that partition.

@ Schabelf: And don't take all options ! At least if you want to find out whether your computer is compatible or not.
(You can redo the copy process to your USB stick with Rufus, if it does not work and then chose the option to bypass compatibility).

Last edited:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Duh! Why would you ever put Rufus on the USB Stick (Flash Drive)?

Rufus runs on your computer.... to burn an ISO to a Flash Drive. That's just the way it works best.
It gives you options to remove the Compatibility stipulations. Take all options!!!
Then boot up your PC with the Flash Drive, and perform the install normally. You should have NO problems, that is, if the ISO you're using is a good one.
For best Rufus setup, see attachments,
You seem to like word picking:

Rufus does not install on your computer !

1. Rufus creates 2 different partitions on your USB stick !
2. One of them contains data, that Rufus installs (I maintain) on that partion.
3. The second partition contains data that Rufus copies from the ISO file (the wim file) to that partition.

@ Schabelf: And don't take all options ! At least if you want to find out whether your computer is compatible or not.
(You can redo the copy process to your USB stick with Rufus, if it does not work and then chose the option to bypass compatibility).

Team mates .. Rufus does run only portable , just run and burn it, set it according to your mainboard (MBR /or GPT) .. boot it and install, Rufus doesnt allow to re-install .. just fresh install only :)

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
I finally decided to do a clean install of Windows 11 on my home built Windows 10 pro machine. I have installed Windows 11 twice before retaining programs because of the huge amount of work reinstalling everything, but I had to go back to 10 both times because a program That I can't do without would work on 10 but not on 11 on my machine (the CPU would peg at 100%) PC health check says my computer meets the requirement for Windows 11. Windows update offers it to me, but today when I tried to install from a USB stick, the installer says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I have tried several times, running PC Health after each failure and it always passes. Any suggestions? Should I try to install over Windows 10 again and then try a clean install after that?
The link listed below should help you resolve the Windows 11 minimum requirements issue.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I have never had but one issue with the Microsoft MCT/Media Creation Tool process in either getting the .iso file downloaded then used to burn the Bootable DVD+R/DL disc nor to create the Bootable USB Thumb drive of 8GB or larger. That one issue was when inadvertently using a 64GB it would only create 32GB, a limit of Windows and FAT32. The USB process wipes everything from the Thumb drive before creating.

I use the USB as it will let me do the single-file change to bypass issues when installing Win11 on older machines, so far on 3 from 2013 and 2014 and Upgrading from within Win11.

Update: I just did the MCT process to create a new USB Thumb drive, took an hour on 25Mbps Wireless DSL and it partitioned and formatted 32GB on a 128GB Thumb drive. As a further test I was able to use Disk Management to partition and format the remaining 83GB on the drive as NTFS, would be good for adding other program installation files.

Last edited:

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Gentlemen, what we have here is a Failure to Communicate! (quote the sheriff)

First Rufus....I do not install it INTO Windows, but I run it from a folder on my desktop. So It's always handy whenever I need it. If that's what y'all call "Portable", then yes, it's portable.

There are several programs that can burn an ISO to a Flash Drive, but Rufus is the only one that can strip a Windows ISO of the Compatibility Stipulations, and can even insert my Name into the new install. That's why I use it. Because, my PC's are all OLD, and way beyond compatibility.

OH, and this should rile the MS fanboys..... I never download anything from Microsoft!!!
I gave that up as a bad deal, years ago.

All this is just a hobby, and not a commercial or Corporate enterprise.

Happy New Year, Mates!

Attachments

• A HappyNewYear.gif
    A HappyNewYear.gif
    11 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Experience counts, whatever works giving the least problems is the way to go. My Upgrades on unsupported hardware were done with the single-file change on the USB drive and running setup.exe while booted into activated Win10, on both Pro and Home editions.

Vote:

yodap

Reaction score
Happy holidays ya’ll. FWIW I have never had a problem with Rufus being installed on the OS with its tiny footprint. It works either way.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I've only seen one problem with installing Windows 11 (any version or source) to any PC. The fellow who was trying it, was using a Flash Drive set up using Rufus set to format of MBR/Bios, where his computer wanted GPT and not MBR.
So I prepared another Flash Drive for him, set to GPT, and his install went off without a hitch.

I just use MBR/Bios on all my installs here at home, so that's never a problem for me, and I never get a bad or aborted install.

Happy Easter!

Vote:

Ask a Question