Can't back Windows 11 preferences in onedrive?

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting a bigger drive soon and want to opt to do a clean install rather than clone.
I was looking into, if I can back up my Windows 11 settings I have set, then just restore them one I reinstall Windows 11.
I found the option in settings > accounts > windows backup
But even though my onedrive is signed in, and backup preferences is ticked it still keeps saying onedrive not syncing at the top as well as preferences not backed up.
I have tried clicking on setup syncing, which gives the options of documents, pictures and desktop. It doesn't mention preferences in this.
I could choose pictures anyway as it says I need more space, so i went ahead and backed up the rest to see if going further would give the preferences option, but it didn't.
So now I have a back up of documents and desktop, and they are in onedrive, but it still says onedrive not syncing at the top as well as preferences not backed up.
Not sure what I am doing wrong here?
Or is there any other ways to backup windows settings?
You change so much over time, to tweak things or turn off stuff you don't want, i'd really like the option to restore settings.

Regards
James

Bighorn

Reaction score
You change so much over time, to tweak things or turn off stuff you don't want, i'd really like the option to restore settings.
I don't use OneDrive or any other Cloud storage so have no response about that but will say that many Forums about Windows are not directly associated with Microsoft, mentioned in the data/disclaimers at the bottom of any page. We seldom if ever know if anyone from Microsoft is visiting/viewing the posts. Problems should be reported using the Feedback Hub in All Apps.

yodap

Reaction score
I agree with Bighorn and further, having cloned many systems, I think that’s your best bet to keep your modifications. Updates will always change a few things but mostly you should be good to go.
Backup your data separately to an external drive as a precaution is a good idea too.

Ask a Question