Desktop icon layout is stuck in weird configuration

VictorZ

Reaction score
Minor problem in the larger scheme of things, but a frustrating one.

On (most) startups, Windows 11 -- version 22H2 currently, but it's been going on for a while -- loads the desktop icons in a somewhat random layout. It's not anything that auto-arrange would've created. Lord knows it's not a layout that I would've set up either.

And before you ask, yes, auto-arrange is turned off. Align to the grid is on, but that (ahem) shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. Additionally, I am NOT changing resolutions, I am not loading up a game or something that might be changing resolution without my being explicitly aware of it, basically, I'm just running Windows like a normal user. I am not shutting down in some inappropriate fashion. In short, I can't think of any reason why this keeps occuring.

I can rearrange the icons to my preferred layout, but on startup, they get rearranged them TO THE SAME DAMN RANDOM LAYOUT that seems to have gotten stuck somehow. Doesn't matter what changes I make, back they go. Occasionally they return to the PROPER (i.e., my chosen) locations, but generally not. But then the next time it restarts ... BANG ... back they go to that same brain-dead arrangement that Windows seems to be unable to let go of.

I am well aware of utilities that can save and restore a desktop arrangement. In fact, I use DesktopOK to restore a saved version of my preferred arrangement upon each login. I have a Scheduler task setup to run a CMD file to clean up the mess Windows makes, but this SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY!

I've even tried deleting the Registry entry that other searches seem to point to as holding the layout ... IconLayouts under HKCU, software, windows, blah blah, in the hopes that, with the icons in the RIGHT (preferred) arrangement, the entry would be recreated correctly. But NOOOO! The entry is recreated alright, but the icons just go back to the SAME DAMN WRONG WIERD LAYOUT !!! ARGH !!!

Why is this happening? How can I make Windows hang on to the arrangement I want without having to be force-fed each and every time it starts up? I can certainly live with the occasional rearrangement if I actually DO something that might impact it like, change resolution, etc. I'd simply run the CMD file that reloads my saved arrangement using DesktopOK ... but this shouldn't have to be done ALL THE TIME.

In any case, as I said at the outset, this is truly a minor problem, I have a functional workaround, but I simply want to understand what is going on. I don't recall having this problem with other systems, with my laptop, etc.. In fact, I don't recall having this problem with my CURRENT system when I first started using it, nor for a goodly while thereafter ... it's just something that Windows has gotten stuck in its craw and I can't seem to get it to cough it out. I'd like to NOT have to rely on a workaround. It should just work as it's supposed to. I have a niggling concern that this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Thank you in advance for your help ... and for letting me vent a bit. :)

VictorZ

Bighorn

Reaction score
One must keep in mind the contents of the desktop are Dynamic, not Static like a picture on the wall, and as such are constantly changing or being redrawn albeit not always visibly seen by the user's eyes. Sometimes the control of that change is done be third-party software, might be helpful to know what, if any, programs have been added.

As far as users are concerned, we may be using the computers the same way but the computers may not be exactly the same. Buy 2 computers of same make and model at the same time same dealer and they will be a bit changed within a day or two after set up by different users, some little change will make them a bit different.

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Absolutely, the desktop is dynamic and changes as icons for programs, or content itself (documents, etc.) are dropped onto the desktop. It is unreasonable to assume it otherwise. However, this isn't the case here. I'm referring to a situation such as the following. Boot the computer, do a bit of work, read email, browse the web, etc., No new programs installed, nothing added to the desktop. Shut down. When the computer reboots, all the icons have been reset to some weird configuration ... take note that this configuration appears to be pretty static and fixed, insofar as the icons are moved to the same locations each time. Reset the icons using a utility like DesktopOK ... or even, move the icons manually. Sit down for some more basic usage as before, shut down, restart, and the process repeats. Icons get move back to some arrangement that Windows appears to have saved somewhere.

My understanding is that, pretty much, if you place the icons manually, they should (mostly) stay where you put'em. Not a guarantee, of course, but generally that has been my experience ... not just recently, but for many many years of using Windows. Sure, a few icons may get moved as a result of an update, or something, but the bulk don't.

What's happening here just baffles me. Windows apparently has made up it's mind as to where my icons should be and every time it reboots, that's where it puts'em. Doesn't matter WHAT I do to change that, back they go, every time. Sure, I can reset them with a third party utility, but on the whole, it should not be necessary to do so.

So, I guess I am wondering WHERE this arrangement is being saved? and how can I clear it out of the system so that the (assumed) default behavior prevails? It doesn't make sense.

In response to your query as to what other programs have been installed? Other than DesktopOK which is what I use to restore a saved arrangement, and some sanity to the desktop, I can't think of any programs that should be affecting the totality of the desktop icon arrangement in this way. The problem existed BEFORE I installed this as way to deal with the problem. And it persists afterwards, so clearly this hasn't changed anything.

There are a variety of programs installed, as you might imagine. Office software, browsers, photo and image software, music software, a few games and such ... heck what software is on YOUR computer and does your desktop behave in the fashion I describe? I suspect not, but of course, your mileage may vary and it is not fair or appropriate of me to assume.

If it was totally random each time, or if it did something akin to what auto-arrange does, I might think differently, but this is the restoration of a VERY specific desktop icon arrangement each time ... albeit not one of my choosing or desire. That's the weird part. It's indeed as if a STATIC arrangement has been decreed somehow and enforced at each reboot but I didn't get a voice in choosing what it is.

Once again, thanks. I apologize for the length of my replies, but I've had no luck in getting anyone to really understand the weirdness otherwise.

VictorZ

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
a VERY specific desktop icon arrangement each time
That does suggest to me that some program is the controlling factor, may rule out a thought I had about testing the RAM/Random Access Memory since that's involved in the refreshing.

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
I certainly can't argue otherwise, but other than tearing the system down to it's original state, I can't see how it would be possible to determine what program. I've never encountered anything quite like this behavior before, over many, many years of running Windows machines going back countless versions. Sure, an oddball program has messed up the icons once in a while, usually due to a change in resolution or some-such, but I don't think that is the case here. This machine is, for the large part, pretty clean. And even when some rogue program DOES do that, the icons tends to clump together from the upper-right corner, not move around to very specific and repeatable places across the top and sides. The weird arrangement is, somehow, something that "feels" like a custom arrangement that would be set up by a user, but it's not one that I would've ever chosen. And it just keeps coming back! Regardless of my attempts to force it to be otherwise.

Incidentally, for what it's worth, the problem has persisted for a while, even as various updates and Windows upgrades have been installed, including major revisions. It has persisted through occasional software installations and regular updates. It's definitely a "stuck" arrangement ... but where and how I am at a loss to explain. That's why I'm asking folks who may well be smarter or more clever than I am. :)

VZ

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
There are some indications on the net that, if everything else fails concerning randomly moving desktop icons, it could be a corrupt user account.

With Microsoft forcing everyone to create a new Microsoft account, when you just want to change a local user account, the easiest way is using cmd prompt: https://www.windows-commandline.com/add-user-from-command-line/

If your user account ist "John", create a new account with the name "Johny". Then copy everything in the user folder over to your new user account (hidden folders need to be hidden before copying, otherwise you risk to copy over corrupted files).
Then delete the old user account and change the name of your new user account back to "John" (remove the "y").
Finally, you could also do a registry search and delete all references to your old user account in the registry. (Your new user account will have another SID, ending for instance with -1002 instead of -1001 for your old account).

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
RogerOver, thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into that. I must admit I'm not keen on having to set up a new user account, but if needs must, then that'll be that. I'm hoping I'm not quite at the "if everything else fails" stage yet as it seems there should be other things to try, but maybe I am and just don't want to admit it. :)

VZ

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
To add, be sure to reboot between the changes so Windows knows about them and after creating a new account reboot to change/log in to it. The I do the file copying as necessary. Most programs will work but sometimes the way they were installed will make a different, current user only or all users.

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
Yeah, issues with installed programs and / or hassle to reinstall, reconfigure, etc. etc. existing programs, automated functions, blah, blah ... those are the issues that give me pause re. creating a new user. But, we'll see. Thank you for the added recommendations and specifics re. reboots, when to copy, etc.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you, I'll give that a try. Based on behavior, my guess is some sort of hidden resource ... an ini, an obscure registry entry, etc. since the same arrangement keeps coming back despite all other efforts. I'll give this a try later tonight and let you know how it went.

Vote:

VictorZ

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, the desktop.ini "fix", either done manually or via the referenced program, followed by full shutdown / reboots, did not do the trick. :( Thank you for your suggestions notwithstanding.

Looks like user account may be the last resort, tho I'll have to weight the pros and cons since, as I said at the outset, I DO have a painless workaround going. It just bugs me every time I see the desktop appear in the wrong configuration. It really shouldn't be this hard to fix, and nuking a user account for (what appears to be) such a trivial issue feels like killing mosquitos with shotguns. Oh well.

I remain open to ANY other suggestions.

VZ

Vote:

Ask a Question