Download Windows Installation assistant

angd163

Reaction score
on this microsoft page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 it list a a windows 11 installation assistant as the best download to use to upgrade from a win 10 to a win 11 environment.

What I cant seem to find is will this do a fresh clean install of win 11 or an upgrade from win 10.

does anyone know where I can find instructions that outline this process step by step?

Thanks

Grizzly

Reaction score
For a clean install you will need an installation medium as in DVD or flashdrive. Both you can create beforehand with the tools on the same website.. For a flash drive you need to download the Media creation tool (Create Windows 11 Installation Media).
That tool can create an Image that need to be burned on a DVD as well as can it create a bootable flash drive.
You also can download that image on the same page further down (Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO)).
the easiest way however is to use the update assistant as you already mentioned. download the program and start it. Let it run through without interfering. After it finishes, you will have a new Windows on your computer, keeping all your files and programs (as far as they are compatible with Windows 11).

Sir_George

Reaction score
on this microsoft page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 it list a a windows 11 installation assistant as the best download to use to upgrade from a win 10 to a win 11 environment.

What I cant seem to find is will this do a fresh clean install of win 11 or an upgrade from win 10.

does anyone know where I can find instructions that outline this process step by step?

Thanks
Using the Windows Installation Assistant upgrades the currently installed Windows version. You can visit the link listed below for more information on using the Installation Assistant.

Last edited:

davehc

Reaction score
It isnt necessary to make a bootable installation, if you have no need for it. Just download the iso to a created empty folder, mount it an run setup from within. The installation retains your download, which you can then sabe for futur use.

angd163

Reaction score
Thanks to all the guys that replied with info. what i am trying to work out if i use the media creation tool to do a fresh clean install {ie delete files and programs} does the process pick up my existing activation key, the one that came with my windows 10 ?

My view from many years of updating versions of windows, that its always better to do a clean install, for better performance, rather than an upgrade. Interested on anyone's thoughts

thanks

yodap

Reaction score
I believe your key from win 10 will be picked up in the clean install path.

On another note, I just went through this and chose the upgrade path. Worked great. My win10 had zero issues before I started and had backed up all my data to another drive as a precaution. I think only 2-3 programs didn’t make it.

Ask a Question