Explorer.exe always opens as minimized size

ljdarby

Reaction score
This problem appeared a few updates ago on my Win11 Pro system: no matter what I do, including creating numerous new shortcuts on my desktop, clicking on explorer.exe successfully opens the file but always is minimized in size. No matter how many times I change its properties to indicate I want it maximized, it always opens minimized. Simply double-clicking on the minimized title bar successfully maximizes it appearance. Any suggestions on getting it to open maximized at all times?

Sir_George

Reaction score
This problem appeared a few updates ago on my Win11 Pro system: no matter what I do, including creating numerous new shortcuts on my desktop, clicking on explorer.exe successfully opens the file but always is minimized in size. No matter how many times I change its properties to indicate I want it maximized, it always opens minimized. Simply double-clicking on the minimized title bar successfully maximizes it appearance. Any suggestions on getting it to open maximized at all times?
Under the Shortcut tab, click on the dropdown next to the Run section in the Properties window. Select Maximised and then apply the changes.

Bighorn

Reaction score
It sometimes works to 'train' programs how to reopen by adjusting them as desired then hold down the Ctrl key when closing.

ljdarby

Reaction score
Sir George- I have tired this obvious route many times without success. Thanks for your interest in my problem.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Did you try this ?: https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/diagnose-and-fix-windows-file-and-folder-problems/

Another tip from the internet that worked for me in the past is to click on the three dots in the Explorer menu, go to Options, then View and remove ALL (really all) ticks in the list (note the boxes ticked). Then click on the "Apply to folders" button and restart your computer. If everythin is fine, you can put the ticks back, if you noted or remember them. Otherwise chose "Default values" at the bottom right of the list.

Last edited:

Ask a Question