[fail] could not open root directory: [10] volume corrupt

John E.

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a problem. Whenever I try to install Windows 11 on a new SSD using a bootable drive, I get this error: [fail] could not open root directory: [10] volume corrupt.

I'm using a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with Windows 11 Home on it. Can someone help? Thanks!

Grizzly

Reaction score
Where do you install it from?? an external CD/DVD or a flash drive? It looks like that you may have a bad SSD or even a bad flash drive.
Do you have an option to test either one on a different pc??

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
No .. boot it using a disc similar as Hiren Boot CD or any other bootable rescue media to enter the HDD/SSD and backup important files .. try re-install the Windows with performing a full format (not quick format) to see if the problem persists ..

If yes, then a storage drive replacement might be needed ..​

Vote:

John E.

Reaction score
Hey Grizzly, I'm installing it from a flash drive. Don't think it's a hardware problem, as the flash drive worked yesterday for another install and the SSD is brand new, tested on 2 PCs, it works normally.

Hey Xploit, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the full format, only did quick format until now. Let's see if the problem persists. I'll share an update once that is done.

Thanks both for answering!

Vote:

Ask a Question