"File History" appears in "Control Panel" but is not responding

bobmacd

Reaction score
In Windows 11 Pro - When I select (click on) "File History" in Control Panel, There is no response. That is, absolutely nothing happens, nothing at all, as if the linked app doesn't even exist. I have confirmed the relevant "services" are running and set to "automatic" - Services like 'file history' and 'windows search'. Only reference to this issue I can find is from another Dell, high end 'gamer' and he has also found no solution.

bobmacd

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply DaveHC
But . . . 'File History' NEVER STARTS. Selecting 'file history' in Control panel is the same as just looking at it - NOTHING happens! So checking target drives, turning it 'on' or 'off', etc., is a mute point.
The 'would be' drive is a NTFS defined, unencrypted drive with plenty of open space. If only I could get the darn thing to start up and offer me the setup choices ...
Note: I did check network paths and encryption, etc but all looked good.

Vote:

bobmacd

Reaction score
DaveHC
FYI just did a search from "START" and got this. See attached file
When I click on 'Configure File History Settings' it just sits there, but notice it kn1639864712622.pngows about File History and that it is OFF.
Go Figure ?
1639864712622.png

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Do you have a small click on the right, like this
1639891226995.png

Presumably, also, you have worked through the settings on the right?

1639891309747.png

Vote:

bobmacd

Reaction score
Thanks Again Dave. Due to other issues I finally reset windows 11 and file history was working normally when that finished. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Vote:

Ask a Question