File history and backup disappeared

BenteM

Reaction score
I have just opdated to windows 11. Unfortunately the menu to make back-up with "file history security opdate" to external drive (via USB) has disappeared. I need very much to have this function which worked fine with windows 10.
Can this function be upgraded to windows 11 ???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Still there, still works, just tested on my Windows 11 system.
Although it seems they've deprecated the Add Folder option for user created folders.
With the earlier File History version, both premade folders (like Documents, Pictures) and user-created folders could be selected for backup. Now with Windows 11, the option to select the user-created folders is missing as Microsoft has removed the ‘Add a Folder’ option.
SOURCE: https://appuals.com/microsoft-limits-back-up-features-for-file-history-in-windows-11/
It still gets all the normal library folders.

Capture.jpg

Vote:

BenteM

Reaction score
Thank you very much for reply. I will to get it work this way.
In the article in your link it says 'It seems Microsoft is trying to promote OneDrive’s paid Backup solution...'
I agree. This was my first thought :-(
I think most people today use cloud solutions.
I am really annoyed of Microsoft trying to push everybody to their paid cloud solution. This is a very unkind way to treat customers. Actually we are some people who, for various reasons, want to keep an easy way to back-up our files to external drives.
I really hope a lot of Microsoft people read this !

Vote:

Bastet

Reaction score
The problem with OneDrive is that you can still only save the default folders it chooses & not add your own.
I much prefer Macrium anyway to Windows own backup options.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I dont use any cloud services, but, I make very frequent Macrium backups to an external. Recovery is disabled.

Vote:

Ask a Question