Win 11 file history, on an external drive, can suddenly not find files saved under win 10

mummel

Reaction score
I have an external drive (E) to save file history. After installation of Win.11 ( previous Win 10.) I could copy files from disk E to disk C.
Suddenly for a while I can only reach history files not older than the installation day of win.11.
Restore files (advanced) is empty, and I can not load anything either.
What can I do? All my private pictures are saved in the file history.
I`m not the most clever when it comes to computers.
Jan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Suddenly for a while I can only reach history files not older than the installation day of win.11.
It may have something to do with the fact that Microsoft has deprecated the "Add Folder" feature that allowed file history users in Windows 10 to add user created folders when configuring what they wanted to backup using File History.
I suspect that's because they are encouraging / promoting there cloud based One Drive backup solution.
What can I do? All my private pictures are saved in the file history.
Can you still see your old backed up files, if....
You open file explorer navigate to your drives open your external drive and browse / navigate through the contents?
Are your older files still there? Hopefully, setting up File History in Windows 11 didn't wipe the old content.

Currently as it exists, File History will only backup data contained in your user profile's libraries (C:\Users\YourUserName)
Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. etc.

Vote:

mummel

Reaction score
Thank`s for your information Trouble Yes I can find file history with sub folders Configuration and data. Data contains additional subfolders $OF and C,
Looking into$OF I found hundreds of folders named by numbers. In those folders I could see files with date stamps as from 2016.''
Folder C contains subfolders and the deepest folder contains all my saved files.
As I do not want my files on a Microsoft cloud it seems that I have to revert to Win. 10. Question is can I then reach my file history?
jan

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it seems that I have to revert to Win. 10
That is a decision that might require your prompt attention, because I believe that you only have about 10 days to decide.
Another feature that has been deprecated, as I remember you previously had 30 days to decide.
Question is can I then reach my file history?
While I'm certainly no File History expert, my immediate response would be affirmative (yes).
As I understand it, the only thing that impact the content of the File History folder on your external drive is the File History application itself, so the process of reverting back shouldn't effect it.
I'd probably disconnect it temporarily just to stay safe.

The reverting process is not something I rely on, as I generally create a full system image before making any big changes to my computer. Especially something like upgrading the whole Operating System, so....
IDK if it is going to put everything back in-place as it was before. I would expect File History to be there and work as it did formerly, but
I can't say if everything you had previously configured it to do will be laid down exactly according to your former choices.

Vote:

Ask a Question