Firefox is running

cosmic52

Reaction score
When I clean my pc with WiseDisk at start up, it say's Firefox needs closing or is running?. It doesn't replicate it every time on start up, and I clean my pc before I shut it down.

Last edited:

RogerOver

Reaction score
It doesn't replicate it every time on start up

If it doesn't replicate every time, it could be a Mozilla Service, like the update checker. Download "Autoruns" from SystemInternals, run the .exe (no installation necessary) and first ensure in the menu (under "Options") that the tick in front of "Hide Windows entries" is set. (Otherwise you will have an overwhelming number of entries).

Then go to the "Services" tab. I am quite sure you will find a Mozilla entry there (see screenshot, I put the tab and the line in yellow). You can completely remove the service (by righclicking the line and selecting delete) or just remove the tick in front of the line, to test (the Service will not be launched at the next startup).

While you are there, also look into the other tabs, whether there are no entries you do not need (especially the "Logon" tab). In the "Scheduled tasks" tab, there is also a Mozilla entry, which is aimed at ensuring that another browser does not "highjack" the postion of Firefox as your default browser and which you do not necessarily need (if Edge is taking over you will find out at your own and you can set Firefox again as your default browser).

And there might be other entries in other tabs. I often look into the the first 6 tabs or so (from Logon to Drivers), I think it's better to leave alone the others (especially "Image highjacks" and "Known DLLs"; don't delete the entries there). If you decide to act on an entry, always first remove the tick only to test, of you don't see any impact after a few days, you can then delete it completely.

If you want to know the meaning of the colors in "Autoruns", please see screenshot 2 (I don't remember where I got it from).

Good luck

Capture.PNG

Autoruns_colors.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question