Firefox updates

cosmic52

Reaction score
After each update, firefox starts letting cookies set in private mode?. Well I think it does. Can anyone else make heads or tails of this cookie setting.
I thought no cookie were set or aren't they being set.

Attachments

• Screenshot (329).png
    Screenshot (329).png
    187.6 KB · Views: 5

RogerOver

Reaction score
Try to play with the "Personalised Settings" in "Privacy and Security" instead of using the "Strict" setting. Click everything !
But pay attention, if you always use the most strict settings in "Personalised", some sites won't work correctly anymore; the use the second most strict setting).
Also clear the cache(s) below (see screenshot).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 7

cosmic52

Reaction score
I thought I'd set it to that, but it was on strict. Thing is, it only does this with sites I have to sign into. I can see that the cookies set is zero, but I'm not sure if it's separating the cookies or setting a cookie. It's only just started doing this after the updates

RogerOver

Reaction score
Also look after your history settings (further down on the same page). See screenshot.
Clear the history (second red encircled; in the window that opens click everything except "Site settings"). You could also clear "Site settings", but it did something I didn't like (dont recall). So I never clear it.

Capture.PNG

cosmic52

Reaction score
I'm happy with you fixes, but why are they in French?. I put it in custom mode now..but it seems to only happen with sites such as ebay, facebook,and google. Is it a sign in thing?.

Bighorn

Reaction score
because I live in a French speaking country and I do not want to change my computer language every time I am posting something on this forum.
Rather than making a computer change would it work to write something then use a translation site to make it English the copy and paste that? It is a small inconvenience but better than changing settings for a single purpose.
An example of the paragraph I just wrote:
Plutôt que de faire un changement d'ordinateur, est-ce que cela fonctionnerait d'écrire quelque chose puis d'utiliser un site de traduction pour le faire en anglais le copier-coller cela? C'est un petit inconvénient mais mieux que de changer les paramètres dans un seul but.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Yes, that would require more effort. I use Snip & Sketch frequently and the snips get saved to a folder then I can paste those in a reply, do the screenshot, paste the translation then paste the image.

1690988666514.png

cosmic52

Reaction score
No worries about the french, I just thought it seemed odd..I too have the feeling it's a sign in thing. I wonder if they've done this to make things work, because Argos won't work at all when it comes to the payment bit.
But sometimes it doesn't set any cookies and the site works, that's what baffles me.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Some years ago, I read that it was possible to run sites that didn't require any cookies !
But whether it's still possible today, with all the technical "progress" (?), I don't kow !

Last edited:

cosmic52

Reaction score
I wished it continued RogerOver, bloody fed with it. If you use private browsing, does it matter about clicking the cookie banners I wonder, there's a lot of clicking. I say and do all this because I'm afraid of getting ripped off again like I once was some years ago.

yodap

Reaction score
I took French for a few years in school over 50 years ago. Admittedly I can’t make out much from your screenshots, but your informative posts and responses are very easy to understand. Keep them coming RogerOver.(y)

cosmic52

Reaction score
Got the gist of it in the end..nothing is setting now..Wonder if firefox updates is changing the setting after their updates.

RogerOver

Reaction score
but your informative posts and responses are very easy to understand. Keep them coming
Thank you for this. It's really my pleasure too !
Wonder if firefox updates is changing the setting after their updates
Yes I believe that this is the case. I any case I am quickly running through the "Privacy and Security" settings after every update. (There is a shortcut (gear icon) to "Settings" that you can put to the top of the firefox toolbar by rightclicking on the toolbar, then click on "Personalisation" at the bottom of the list and drag the gear icon to your firefox toolbar; left or right, where you want).

cosmic52

Reaction score
Well it lasted a day..In private mode, doesn't matter whether it's strict or custom, they're nearly all getting through..never known this before, even duckduckgo are setting.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Try the following:

(1) Download the latest Firefox version for your computer from Mozilla. Make a backup of your Bookmarks / Favorite links.
Then uninstall and reinstall Firefox. After uninstalling Firefox and before reinstalling it, restart the Computer and open the file explorer. Click on the three dots at the extreme right of the Explorer menu bar. Click on "Options" and in the window that opens, go to the "View" tab. In the list find "Hide protected system files". Uncheck it.
Then go to your user folder in explorer. You will see more folders and files than normaly, but the newly visible folders and files are a bit "foggy", like half-hidden. Find the folder "App Data" (not Application Data") and open the folder. You will see three sub-folders "Local", "LocalLow" and "Roaming". In "Local" and "Roaming" there will be "Mozilla" folders. Simply delete them. Then you can put the tick back in front of "Hide protected system files"; in general be carefull with these hidden files and folders, ... (but not in this case for the Mozilla folders).
Restart and reinstall Firefox. You will need to set back all your settings in Firefox, give in your passwords again, and reimport your bookmarks / favorites.

(2) Do you have "U-block origin" installed, a firefox extension ? If I would be allowed to only have one extension in Firefox, it would be this one. Open Firefox and find "Extensions and Settings" on the left side of your Firefox window. In the search bar (top right) tape "U-block origin". Install the extension. Restart Firefox. Go back to "Extensions" find "U-Block origin" and click on the three dots (right). Click on "Options", you will land on a tab called "Filter list". Tick everything you can on the list in this tab. Please pay also attention to the small arrows / triangles on the left of the list entries, click on them and also tick the boxes in these sub-folders. Also tick all the regions / countries, even if you never have the intention to go there (you never know where you are sent by a link). Finally click on "Update" (or similar = middle button on top of the list). Wait until all the the little cercles behind all the lines do not move anymore. Close U-block.

Good luck !

Last edited:

cosmic52

Reaction score
Didn't make any difference, it's an hit and miss with ebay, facebook, and google. They still set now and again, but with a zero as before. I've asked firefox discussions, but no answer yet. But notice that other people are asking this question too.

RogerOver

Reaction score
an hit and miss with ebay, facebook, and google
Thanks for the info.I thought I had read something about a "new sort of cookies" from google and facebook, but I didn't find it back. I don't use facebook, but I also don't seem to have the problem neither for google nor for ebay.

It may depend on your country though: https://www.cnil.fr/en/cookies-cnil...-and-facebook-60-million-euros-non-compliance (CNIL is the French data protection authority); but this dates from the beginning of 2022.

Ask a Question