Help! Recover the hard drive.

William Perez

Reaction score
Hello, I have encountered an unpleasant event. My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable . When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it.

There are very important files on the disc.

Does anyone know how to help me? photo_2024-01-09_12-00-32.jpg

Grizzly

Reaction score
Test the enclosure with a known good drive. If you get the same message, then your enclosure bit the dust and your drive and data may still be good. I use SSD's for over 8 years know (Samsung's included) and so far all are still working.

William Perez

Reaction score
I managed to recover most of the files.

I came across this video on YouTube.

Hetman Partition Recovery was able to recover 90% of the data from the disc. This is probably the best result so far. Overall, I'm satisfied because I managed to recover most of the data for little money. Thank you all for your help)

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I have several external hard drives that came to me as junk, because they were in an enclosure that no longer worked.
The best one, was a Seagate 8TB HD (not an SSD). It almost took the jaws of life to get the drive out of that plastic enclosure, but it was worth the effort, because I now have it mounted permanently in my MAIN desktop PC, and I use it as a Storage/Backup drive.
Very few external HD's actually die, but the cheap enclosures that they are in certainly do.

So, if an external HD seems to fail, I'll just pull the drive out of the enclosure, and 90% of the time, the drive will be OK.

Cheers mates!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question