How to remove the Edge Bing Discover icon from the toolbar?

acerguy

Reaction score
I have this annoying Edge Bing Discover icon in my Edge toolbar. I can't remove it. It's on the top right. It's only happened in the last few days, with an update I presume. Please help me to remove it. I really hate all these annoying features that I don't want. I look forward to a reply please. Cheers.

davehc

Reaction score
Ok. I have not yet been attacked with this, but this is what I find, on investigothers with the problem:

Open the settings from the drop down.:

1. On the left, click on the System and performance section.
2. In the right pane, disable the Startup boost optio
3. Right-click the shortcut you use to open Microsoft Edge, e.g. its desktop shortcut.
4. On the Shortcut tab, click in the Target target box and add the --disable-features=msUndersideButton argument after msedge.exe.
5. Click Apply and OK to save the changes. Now, close all Edge windows and launch it using the modified shortcut. The Discover feature is now disabled!

acerguy

Reaction score
Hi Dave. Thanks for your help. I have disabled the Startup boost. But when I right click the icon on my desktop, it does not have a Target box. I'm on Windows 11. I'm not sure what you mean. I look forward to your reply..

cosmic52

Reaction score
A lot of people are talking about this and from what I've read, it can't be undone. You can get rid of the side bar but not the discovery button on the top.

Harmxn

Reaction score
A lot of people are talking about this and from what I've read, it can't be undone. You can get rid of the side bar but not the discovery button on the top.

Davehc's method worked for me on Windows 10

1. search for Microsoft Edge
2. right click the Microsoft Edge app
3. open File location
4. right click the Microsoft Edge shortcut
5. Properties
6. and in the "Target" section paste this at the end

--disable-features=msUndersideButton

For me MS Edge was in the taskbar, so I right clicked the taskbar icon > right clicked the app icon > properties and then step 6

WickedCanuck

Reaction score
Ok. I have not yet been attacked with this, but this is what I find, on investigothers with the problem:

3. Right-click the shortcut you use to open Microsoft Edge, e.g. its desktop shortcut.
4. On the Shortcut tab, click in the Target target box and add the --disable-features=msUndersideButton argument after msedge.exe.
5. Click Apply and OK to save the changes. Now, close all Edge windows and launch it using the modified shortcut. The Discover feature is now disabled!

I have Win 11. I've done this a few times now and the icon is still there at the top right corner. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Ash

Reaction score
Davehc's method worked for me on Windows 10

1. search for Microsoft Edge
2. right click the Microsoft Edge app
3. open File location
4. right click the Microsoft Edge shortcut
5. Properties
6. and in the "Target" section paste this at the end

--disable-features=msUndersideButton

For me MS Edge was in the taskbar, so I right clicked the taskbar icon > right clicked the app icon > properties and then step 6
tysm this actually worked

Mr. Foxx

Reaction score
Hi Dave. Thanks for your help. I have disabled the Startup boost. But when I right click the icon on my desktop, it does not have a Target box. I'm on Windows 11. I'm not sure what you mean. I look forward to your reply..
I didn't get what he meant, either, but you can get there by right clocking edge and selecting "properties". I tried adding the text to the target box and it didn't work, though :(

acerguy

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Mr Fox, Cosmic and Harman for your help and advice. I did try it all now, I understood. But however, it did not work for me. Maybe on Windows 11 it looks like it's there for good, can't be removed. Never mind, I will just look at it each day, and then have a drink! Cheers. :( ?

Mr. Foxx

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Mr Fox, Cosmic and Harman for your help and advice. I did try it all now, I understood. But however, it did not work for me. Maybe on Windows 11 it looks like it's there for good, can't be removed. Never mind, I will just look at it each day, and then have a drink! Cheers. :( ?
Hey friend. I seem to have solved the issue (am also on win 11) from following this step by step with photos article from the 'How To Geek' website https://www.howtogeek.com/879137/how-to-remove-bing-chat-discover-button-in-microsoft-edge/. Lots of people are giving advice on Reddit, too. Such an annoying problem!

davehc

Reaction score
Have one for me (Maybe more than one;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've created an article for the site based on the questions and advice in this thread, hopefully the images in it will help anyone that wants to make changes:

davehc

Reaction score
I've created an article for the site based on the questions and advice in this thread, hopefully the images in it will help anyone that wants to make changes:

Excellent. Weel done Ian!

I opened edge (Not my default.9 Yesy, it was there-
Followed through your post and --Gone:)

Samsung User

Reaction score
i went into settings at the bottom of that side bar click on it went into systems click on that and unticked show side bar it has now gone

Grizzly

Reaction score

it does work, I just tried it - not in Windows 11 but in Windows 10 -
In my case I do not have a desktop icon for edge, mine is in the taskbar. So I did what Harmxn suggested and it worked.
I hate being something forced on that I most likely never use anyway......

Ask a Question