Newly installed App not listed in Settings - Default apps

Ken

Reaction score
Hello,

I am running Windows 11 Pro version 22H2
I have just installed a simple text editor to replace Notepad; it is EditPad Lite 8.
It is insalled in C:\Program Files\EditPad Lite 8 and works fine when I open its executable.

I want to set it as the default app for .txt files, but when I go to:
Setting > Apps > Default apps
it does not appear in the list of apps.

Can you offer any advice ?
Thanks.

Solution
Hello,

Thanks for all your replies.

1. Yes, I tried right clicking a text file and selecting "Open with." The drop list has the option to use EditPad. When I choose it, it just opens -- I am not offered the choice to "Make it the default."

2. I really expect to be able to open a text file with one single left click.
When I try this I get a panel headed "Select an app to open this .txt file"
The default app at the top is already selected, and it is Edit Pad Lite, but it has the wrong icon. When I click "Just Once" the panel disappears momentarily then reappears, but the file does not open.
Under suggested apps, Edit Pad Lite also appears at the top of the list, but with the correct icon. When I select it and click "Just...

Bighorn

Reaction score
There usually are more choices in the list of Open with, just have to scroll down and find Choose another app, at the bottom of the list then locate that .exe file.

1690374197781.png

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
Hello,

I am running Windows 11 Pro version 22H2
I have just installed a simple text editor to replace Notepad; it is EditPad Lite 8.
It is insalled in C:\Program Files\EditPad Lite 8 and works fine when I open its executable.

I want to set it as the default app for .txt files, but when I go to:
Setting > Apps > Default apps
it does not appear in the list of apps.

Can you offer any advice ?
Thanks.
Have you tried right clicking a text file and selecting "Open with." Does the drop list have the option to use EditPad? If so, choose it and then select "Once or Always." As Bighorn stated, you may have to expand the list and "Choose another app."

Last edited:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Generally, after an installation of an application it will appear only under Installed Apps, not Default Apps .. to make changes we shall needto do it manually, either the instructions shown by 2 fellow members above or my guide below ..

Setting > Apps > Default apps > Choose defaults by file type

1690378338287.png
1690378253178.png

Vote:

Ken

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for all your replies.

1. Yes, I tried right clicking a text file and selecting "Open with." The drop list has the option to use EditPad. When I choose it, it just opens -- I am not offered the choice to "Make it the default."

2. I really expect to be able to open a text file with one single left click.
When I try this I get a panel headed "Select an app to open this .txt file"
The default app at the top is already selected, and it is Edit Pad Lite, but it has the wrong icon. When I click "Just Once" the panel disappears momentarily then reappears, but the file does not open.
Under suggested apps, Edit Pad Lite also appears at the top of the list, but with the correct icon. When I select it and click "Just Once" the file opens. The"Always" button that is usually beside "Just once" is missing.

3. In Settings > Apps > Default Apps, there is no "Choose Defaults by file type" option.
However, there is a box labelled "Choose a default", which I guess does the same thing. I am then asked to enter a file type or link type, so I enter .txt. But in the long list below, Edit Pad Lite does not appear.

That was where I was stuck. HOWEVER, I now realise I have to click again on the panel below, and when I do that Edit Pad Lite just appears as the chosen app. How it knows that is what I want when I have not chosen it is a mystery!

Anyway, it is all OK now (Windows can be a real pain sometimes).

Thank you all for your advice. Ken.

Vote:
Solution

Bighorn

Reaction score
1. I always get a choice at the bottom of the list of programs for Once or Always, that's where I change the association if desired.

2. Unless changed in Mouse settings the single left click is for highlighting something, get the focus, cursor location, whereas it takes 2 clicks to actually open.

Vote:

Ken

Reaction score
1, In the case I have described above, the "Always" button was definitely missing.
2. I have changed my mouse settings for single click left instead of double click.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Also, if the app doesn't not show after rebooting open a Command Prompt as Administrator and run sfc /scannow, check for other issues with Windows files.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Look for the green Solved button. Don't think there's an actual close which explains some folks not seeing the date of the last post on some threads and responding to those more than a few months old. One thing about computers is things get quickly out of date, problems may be fixed or the machine/s replaced.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I suppose I should close the thread, but can't find the button to do that.
I cannot see a green solved button anywhere.

The administrator disabled feature for normal members to close threads / topics in this forum, you might want to leave it as it is so in future people with similar issue can continue with it, else Private Message the administrator / moderator and ask and request to close.

The decision depends on the administrator or moderators.​

:)

Vote:

Ask a Question