Onedrive not secure as control on user folder impossible to work with.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I have purchased a s/h machine and with the win 11 upgrade I am able to take over ownership of the notebook however, I am unable to take over the user folder that holds one drive I have tried everything taken ownership of the folder but there seems to be no way to change the folder name and the onedrive did still hold personal buisness documents that belonged to the previous owner a Diaability support worker with private contracts I don't think she is responsible as I think she cleaned the onedrive folder out and they returned when she put them in her new tablet. Now I am afraid or buying any microsoft products as I am worried her card might be charged for anything I may use or purchase. I have made the ownership of one drive but Jules's name is still on the user file and occasionally I spot her email address even though my email addressseems to control everything except one drive and user/jules/onedrive/ etc etc. I can't change Jules in properties settings and I can't delete it, although I had after coping everything to Bill folder then the desktop stopped working andI had to return folders one by one that I wanted to return and I deleted the folders I didn't want. This is shameful this folder is so hard to rename. Do i need to remove the protection from all the directories containing this folder name will this allow me to rename user folder it has all my data now but I still don't 100% own this folder can anyone advise me how th change cosmetic ownership of user folder and onedrive even though my emailaddy is alrady the owner I am an admin but I suspect Jules might be lingering as a admin/part owner. This aspect of security works against the security of previous owners and their clients. c: user/Jules/onedrive. might I suggest that onedrive be uninstalable and then re installable with new email etc seperate to windows as its not in apps and programs in the control panel and it should be. I even lost my restore points which would have been in the user data.

Sir_George

Reaction score
I have purchased a s/h machine and with the win 11 upgrade I am able to take over ownership of the notebook however, I am unable to take over the user folder that holds one drive I have tried everything taken ownership of the folder but there seems to be no way to change the folder name and the onedrive did still hold personal buisness documents that belonged to the previous owner a Diaability support worker with private contracts I don't think she is responsible as I think she cleaned the onedrive folder out and they returned when she put them in her new tablet. Now I am afraid or buying any microsoft products as I am worried her card might be charged for anything I may use or purchase. I have made the ownership of one drive but Jules's name is still on the user file and occasionally I spot her email address even though my email addressseems to control everything except one drive and user/jules/onedrive/ etc etc. I can't change Jules in properties settings and I can't delete it, although I had after coping everything to Bill folder then the desktop stopped working andI had to return folders one by one that I wanted to return and I deleted the folders I didn't want. This is shameful this folder is so hard to rename. Do i need to remove the protection from all the directories containing this folder name will this allow me to rename user folder it has all my data now but I still don't 100% own this folder can anyone advise me how th change cosmetic ownership of user folder and onedrive even though my emailaddy is alrady the owner I am an admin but I suspect Jules might be lingering as a admin/part owner. This aspect of security works against the security of previous owners and their clients. c: user/Jules/onedrive. might I suggest that onedrive be uninstalable and then re installable with new email etc seperate to windows as its not in apps and programs in the control panel and it should be. I even lost my restore points which would have been in the user data.
Check the link below which should help provide a solution to your issue.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I have been poking around my puter all night and I have found that in the control panel and in settings the properties boxes in these two places allow one to move some application files passwords settings and bookmarks to a new folder you choose. Then once you have moved these files you can do what ever you like with the one drive I still have two files in there I have to nut out I've had a rest by having a backup night on my puters as I was getting really tired. so over the weekend I'll have a fresh look again. I think the big thing is things are in different places to all previous versions so it will take me a year or two to get my head around it, I really hate the way files multiply in library's when there really the same file showing in multipul folders. I was running a 13Tb system in win 10 and it was a pleasure compared to this 128gb win 11. These micro sd cards are useless and I can't back up to a flash drive have to get out the old school toolsI had for the last 5-15 years an no dvd burner is so annoying as I'll have to work out another way to install old software one program I use every day is about 23 years old and still out performs its rivals today might drag out some old software and see how it goes from before cd drives were available.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
To change the default user folder from Jules to bill I could just go into the registery and write a new string then delete the old string could I then I would just need to rename the jules folder to Bill or is it not that simple?

Sir_George

Reaction score
To change the default user folder from Jules to bill I could just go into the registery and write a new string then delete the old string could I then I would just need to rename the jules folder to Bill or is it not that simple?
I guess you could give it a try, but I don't have any first hand knowledge about the results. I would suggest that you make a back up the registry before making any changes, that way you could go back and probably be no worse off then before.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
would this be as simple as editing the registerd removing the string for jules and replacing it with Bill then I might be able to change the folder to bill? or will that not work?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ask a Question