Ram slots

cosmic52

Reaction score
I'm needing to upgrade the memory as 8gb isn't enough. Downloaded and checked by Crucial it says I have two slots with 8gb of DDR4, but task manager says I have four slots DDIM of which one is in use?. I myself can only see two.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Need more information about the computer and/or motherboard. Do you see 2 RAM modules or only 2 slots for them? What does the manual for the computer show on the image of the motherboard? Task Manager on my Notebook shows the number of slots and how many have modules, 2 and 2. I've experienced only 1 issue with Crucial, turned out an old Dell Dimension 2300 Series took one type memory but an anomoly was their 2350 took a different type, easy exchange.
1694872809407.png

cosmic52

Reaction score
I'm going to take the side off it next week Bighorn, to find out for sure and then I probably explain better.

cosmic52

Reaction score
It's not actually a model, I had it built by Novotech. They asked what I wanted and they built it, although now looking back i didn't ask for more ram as that was all I wanted for my needs. But as time progressed and tech and games get more sophisticated I think it's a good idea to improve it.

Bighorn

Reaction score
It's never a bad time to add more memory, up to as much as it will accommodate and can be afforded. My older notebooks came with 4GB and I've updated to 8GB, my desktops came with 8GB and I updated to 16GB. I have not seen memory issues in a long time. I also leave Virtual Memory set as system managed. My first computer had 4MB RAM and 120MB HDD, first upgrade was to 8MB RAM when WordPerfect started complaining at 8 pages of data.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score

Only 1 slot occupied by 1 piece of 8GB DDR4, so there's another 1 more slot available .. in my case, I have 2 slots onboard and both slotted 2GB per slot, it's hard to get my memory module since the hardware is obsolete, then I decided to maintain the existing 4GB;

Seems quite fast for my usage :)

1695120117492.png

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
If the system reports 8GB in total then it should be only 1 slot occupied, not 4 open slots as reported unless it reports more than 8GB then we should look further about the mainboard model again, because some mainboards would have permanently "soldered" memory modules.

P/S: The board is very dusty, recommend to blow some air to clean it :D

cosmic52

Reaction score
And there's the ram slots Bighorn. And you're right, it needs a clean in there. Yeah thats the board, gonna remove the 8gb and replace with two 16gb. I know it's dusty, most of it blown in from virgin fittings😂
😂

yodap

Reaction score
That’s a fine upgrade cosmic52. Not sure how much improvement you’ll see in gaming or what games you play. A dedicated graphics card would help and doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. It would offload the heavy graphics stuff from the CPU though.

cosmic52

Reaction score
One game I play has started to go jerky and the forum to it recomends some extra ram which they have done, has improved the performance of the game yodap. But as you say, might take a look at the graphics later on. Guys, can I just ask for two 32gb of DDR4, or do I have to quote a number off the other ram stick?.

yodap

Reaction score
Just 2400 speed. (what you have) or 2666 if you have 8th Gen Intel processor and utilize XMP setting.
(taken from Xploit’s link above)

cosmic52

Reaction score
Think this the one I'm going for, seems a reasonable price. What do you think?.Although it says Dimm on task manager and Udimm on the website?.Is this ram ok?.

Last edited:

yodap

Reaction score
I don’t think you need to worry about it. Here’s a brief explanation.

“A UDIMM is a type of memory module that does not have a buffer or register to reduce electrical load on the memory controller. This means that UDIMMs are a simpler and more affordable option, but they may not be as reliable or efficient as other types of memory modules. A DIMM, on the other hand, is a type of memory module that has a buffer or register to reduce electrical load on the memory controller. This makes DIMMs a more reliable and efficient option, but they are also more expensive than UDIMMs.”

High capacity machines such as servers would opt for DIMM.

good luck and blow out your dust😜

Last edited:

Ask a Question