Remote desktop from Android phone using VPN no longer works

jab8356

Reaction score
Under Windows 10, I could use Microsoft's remote desktop app for Android to remote desktop to my PC from anywhere using my VPN. With Win 11, the remote app works fine at home on my wifi as long as the VPN is off, but turn on VPN and it won't connect either on my wifi or from anywhere. I've allowed VPN connections through Windows firewall, but still no luck.

jab8356

Reaction score
Finally Googled the right thing and found the answer.

Reinstall WAN MiniPorts​

WAN Miniports are drivers for various types of network connections. WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport(IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP) are used for VPN connections, i.e., connection to a PPTP VPN server. You can easily reinstall the drivers again using Windows.

• Open Device Manager
  • Find Network Adapters
  • Uninstall WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport(IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP).
    Uninstall Miniports on WIndows 10
  • Click Action, then Scan for hardware changes
  • The adapters you just uninstalled should come back
Try connecting again. Hopefully, you should be good to go.

Mickey52

Reaction score
even though I have been nagged to connect my phone I have not once I heard Win11 was coming. I knew all could not be converted from 10 to 11. My printer had to be reset up so the others will have to be also, the printer now runs better than it ever has, and spell check is active with left mouse button then right

jab8356

Reaction score
Uninstalling ALL of the WAN miniport drivers and restarting the computer fixed this issue.

Ask a Question