Thumbnail images VERY slow loading in File Explorer

Peano

Reaction score
Windows 11 Home, ver. 23H2

When I open a folder of images and choose the Large Icons view, the thumbs load very slowly. Example: A folder with 77 jpeg images (most smaller than 300K) takes three minutes to load all the thumbnails. After they load, they're stored (I assume) in a thumbs.db file within that folder; so, the next time I open that folder, the thumbs pop right up.

Before Win 11, I was using Win 7 Pro. A folder this size would load all the thumbnail images in two or three seconds at most. So I'm assuming the slow loading is an issue with Windows 11.

Any ideas?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Just a guess, was Win7 on a different computer from Win11? I'm now on an HP Envy 17 from 2014 running an unsupported version of Win11 Home, Upgraded over Win10, and not seeing any slowness in loading the thumbnails.

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
Just a guess, was Win7 on a different computer from Win11? I'm now on an HP Envy 17 from 2014 running an unsupported version of Win11 Home, Upgraded over Win10, and not seeing any slowness in loading the thumbnails.
No, it's a new computer, Dell XPS 8960. It came with the OS already installed.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Same post at

Vote:

Peano

Reaction score
Same post at
Yes, I'm seeking help on several different forums. Is that a problem?

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hello,

As far as I have analysed, there are no thumbs.db file will be created in Windows 11 compared with previous operating systems (eg. Windows 7). In Windows 11 there will be only 2 file will be created GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT and IconCache.db under C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local.

Users will not have access to that specific folder since it's protected. However you can reset the file by downloading my batch file from the below link and run it as an Administrator (Open TASK MANAGER, click RUN NEW TASK) tick run as Administrator and browse for the downloaded batch file from there.

Immediately restart your computer to take effect.

Vote:

Ask a Question