Unable To Rearrange Folders in Quick Access

jfranco809

Reaction score
I've pinned several folders to quick access. But when I try to arrange them how I want them (typically alphabetical order) windows won't allow me to move them around. See attached screen shot of my quick access. When I move a file close to the other where I want it , the only option it gives me is to copy the file into the other file. I had a chat session with a microsoft customer support and they logged onto my computer remotely. I didn't really understand what they said but the only thing I could deduce is they wanted me to unpin everything because they thought the order in which I had pinned files was preventing me from being able to arrange them properly. I unpinned everything and started over and I'm still having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 12

RogerOver

Reaction score
After searching and troubleshooting this for months I finally figured out how to fix it by reading another forum. This has been a known issue for many people.

Here is the fix : Open Folder options in File Explorer, go to Tab "View", scroll down to object group "Navigation pane".
There: uncheck the box "Show all folders"

That's exactly what I proposed in the contribution just before your contribution, I just quoted !

For your new problem:
First arrange your files in the folder you want as you like them (as Bighorn described).
Then go to the three dots (most right in the Explorer menu), click on Options, open the View tab und click on the "Apply to folders" button. That's it.

If you do this while being at the highest level of the folder hierarchy (= in C:\ = the so-called "root" folder), you can arrange the files of all folders of your C-drive in the exact same way! Clicking on the "Apply to folders" button will apply to your whole C-drive. Sometimes however (for instance for the Documents folders, if there are many subfolders and files in it), this procedure "doesn't go fully through" the whole hierarchy. Then just re-apply the same procedure again, but at the level of the recalcitrant (documents) folder.

Vote:

Lynntlc

Reaction score
After searching and troubleshooting this for months I finally figured out how to fix it by reading another forum. This has been a known issue for many people.

Here is the fix : Open Folder options in File Explorer, go to Tab "View", scroll down to object group "Navigation pane".
There: uncheck the box "Show all folders"
That's all it takes, now I am fully able to arrange/rearrange/order my Quick Access objects. Still haven't found any negative bi-effects of it
IT WORKED. THANK YOU SO MUCH. All caps is excitement because I could not find an answer, and I really missed using this feature.

Vote:

Ask a Question