Update broke stuff, can't roll back

Reaction score
I installed an update yesterday (KB5035853) to Win 11 23H2 and suddenly stuff is broken:
* Windows won't let me go to shell:appdata in Explorer
* Windows doesn't recognise my headset mic any more
To fix the headset problem, I tried reinstalling the driver (latest Realtek, 6.0.9384.1), and when that didn't work, went to install the Realtek Audio Console, but MS store says "there was a problem at our end".

I went to Windows Update to roll back the update, but "Go back" is greyed out and says "This option is no longer available on this PC".

How the hell do I undo the damage the Microsoft's latest brainfart has done to my system?

Reaction score
Just found out that I can uninstall by going to "Installed updates" and then scrolling to the bottom of a loooooong list, where I finally found "Uninstall updates".

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
you might try this it worked for me I could not set a pin for sign on that fix many issues.
1)shut down or remove third party antivirus I uninstalled mine altogether. Do know I will ever install again things are running so well!
2) make sure defender was running
3) right clicked start button (on task bar) went to terminal (Admin) it asked if I wanted to use say yes
4) at curser flash line type sfc hit space bar enter /scannow that utility will run may take a while to finish it will tell you if it found any corrupt files and if it fixed them.
I found this command late last night, this morning I restarted my computer the option to sign on with a pin was there I entered my pin, and I was up a running. I now can do a backup with system image I could not do before things are running better than ever.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Finally I'm successfully done with KB5035853 .. I found out that, of course I tweaked manually the Windows into maximum performance .. with Media Creation Tool it updated automatically without losing any part of my personal data, applications and settings. Since there was Windows.old created, I removed it via Disk Cleanup feature in Settings -> System -> Storage ..

Everything back to normal as I tweaked previously, with usage of 58GB in total out of 250GB storage, and it's now on built 22632.3296 (y)

1711188863227.png

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I installed an update yesterday (KB5035853) to Win 11 23H2 and suddenly stuff is broken:
* Windows won't let me go to shell:appdata in Explorer
* Windows doesn't recognise my headset mic any more
To fix the headset problem, I tried reinstalling the driver (latest Realtek, 6.0.9384.1), and when that didn't work, went to install the Realtek Audio Console, but MS store says "there was a problem at our end".

I went to Windows Update to roll back the update, but "Go back" is greyed out and says "This option is no longer available on this PC".

How the hell do I undo the damage the Microsoft's latest brainfart has done to my system?
Thank you for thr heads up on this update KB5035853 I had to download it couldn't stop it, when it rebooted my images from facebook wouldn't open properly so I unstalled the update just now and facebook is all good again. Why doesn't Microsoft give us the option to not download an update. The 5 week delay would have given microsoft time to make minor repairs but not to the whole update. I only hope it's not waiting to install again as it was a bad update.

Vote:

Ask a Question