USB-C Devices Not Recognized by Import Photos Process

Ayemac

Reaction score
This is more of a technical question than a camera question. I'm a creature of habit and continue to use the old "Import Pictures" option that used to exist in Windows 7. I have a shortcut on my desktop with the following in the target:

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\photoAcq.dll",PhotoAndVideoAcquire

It works with standard USB-A connected devices, but it will NOT work with USB-C devices. So when I purchased my R5, I subsequently purchased a card reader that was USB-C. I was disappointed that it didn't work with my shortcut - something that DID work with a USB-A flash drive. My work around is to laboriously copy the data from the reader to the USB-A flash drive and THEN import the photos.

I thought it was just my reader, but I recently purchased a USB-C flash drive and experienced the same result. The USB-C is so much faster that I'd like to take advantage of that speed. But something is keeping that particularly connection from being recognized by the shortcut.

I'm aware that I can import with other applications. I like the system I've had in place for years, and this shortcut allows me to do that. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
not all USB-C have the same architecture, for example my Samsung smartphone USB-C is not the same as the one I used to charge Vape device ..

Vote:

Ayemac

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that it's most likely a driver issue, but I was hoping someone had already encountered it, researched it, and resolved it. : o)

Vote:

Ask a Question