Windows 11 best reason to switch to Mac

GeneS

Reaction score
I have one new laptop that I will not try windows 11 on when it opens to download.
My wife and I have our laptop and her desk top which have Intel core I 7's . 7th.
generations. everything that is required except neither CPU is not on the approved
list. Yes I know I can continue running windows 10 on these and will do so till they
are ready for replacement. If microsoft is going to do this then what is to say they
can't just next year say oh we decided not to support cpu that are furnished by
computer makers we don't agree with.
Will continue using our windows 10 then consider switching to a MAC, never used
them before but might be the time for people to just not install windows 11

seedling

Reaction score
I have one new laptop that I will not try windows 11 on when it opens to download.
My wife and I have our laptop and her desk top which have Intel core I 7's . 7th.
generations. everything that is required except neither CPU is not on the approved
list. Yes I know I can continue running windows 10 on these and will do so till they
are ready for replacement. If microsoft is going to do this then what is to say they
Yes I agree with you, but I will switch to Linux.

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score

Hmm. I used Macs exclusively for 29 years. Switched exclusively to Windows 10 upon release. From that perspective --

1. You don't sound like someone who flips their hardware that often. Kabylakes were release in early 2017. So you likely picked up these devices before somewhere in 2017-2018. You've also indicated you're going to ride out your Kabys until replacement is needed, indicating about two years more? This tells me you don't like shelling $$$ out for hardware. Mac = shelling out big bucks for hardware.

2. I know next to no one says this on the internet -- but remembering my resume -- I can tell you that PC hardware is MORE reliable. I know, I know -- I expected the exact opposite. I was warned by iTools that I'd be slammed with hardware falling apart -- and so I bought SquareTrade Extended Warranties to be covered. I've yet to use one, which is kinda frustrating. At least Square is cheaper than AppleCare. Oh, and by 'PC hardware' I only really mean Asus, some Beelink, and one Lenovo. (So far.)

You should also understand that YouTube's Louis Rossman (infamous Mac repair tech) reveals a company that routinely ignores known hardware issues. He pointed out that an entire series of laptops had too short a cable connecting the screen to the PC. Within a year or so users open the top and it finally disconnects the cable. Louis makes a fortune off fixing this issue (via reasonable prices) but was stunned to learn that Apple --

-- released a new line of laptops with the same issue
-- would charge like $600-$800 at the Genius Bar to fix a $30 problem (they'd replace the screen, which wasn't necessary)
-- that Apple didn't do the correct fix, which means the issue would return
-- if the customer didn't have AppleCare -- they'd say, "Hey, why not just buy a new Mac?"

I used to work in the stores during Steve Jobs. I insisted customers buy the AppleCare. Not for any sales reward but because I'd frankly tell them about 1 in 3 Macs fail within the first 3 years. Maybe 1 in 4 fail during the additional AppleCare years.

I have yet to have a PC fail.

3. Windows 11 is actually both good and bad. The bad can be easily fixed. And is agreed upon by most people in the feedback hub. Nothing is mysterious. The question is IF Panos will be stubborn or smart. He has a golden opportunity to steal Apple marketshare but is instead squandering it.

4. Some will tell you Apple's M1 chip is a serious game changer. That's a YES and also a NO.

-- YES because the cooler chip helps for extended battery life, which is EXCELLENT for say college students or people who carry their laptop everywhere

-- but NO if you don't carry your laptop everywhere. My Lenovo Flex 14 (AMD Ryzen 5 3500) has a battery that's like 3 hours at best? But it cost me $524 brand new. The entry level MacBook is twice that. And remember -- you need extended warranty. So my real PC price with 3 years is $641. Apple price for similar entry level unit is $1200. You can expect similar markup for your wife, which means because of your HMMMM over Windows 11 you can expect to spend an extra $1200 (roughly) you wouldn't with PCs.

-- YES the M1 is speedy...

-- but NO it is way over-hyped. (Apple? Over-hyping? Say it isn't so!) The hype I heard led me to an Apple store where I tried out a (delicious) Mint iMac. (For 3 decades I always owned an iMac, including the desktop alien one!) I rebooted the unit and found it's reboot time to be... a little faster than my 10th Gen i5. When I opened Apps, they were... a little faster than my 10th Gen i5.

Oh, I know -- benchmarks, benchmarks, benchmarks. And perhaps in Final Cut Pro it's super fast. But many of us only use PCs as internet access points and Office-ish platforms. Nutshell: PCs are plenty fast for conservatively 85% of all users. Not to mention that AMD is making advances by the second which may narrow this gap significantly -- in case -- you're in the other 15%.

5. "If Microsoft is going to do this then what is to say they can't just next year say oh we decided not to support cpu that are furnished by computer makers we don't agree with"

This is a very weak slippery slope argument.

You neglected to define what 'this' is. What is it that Microsoft is doing? They claim they're trying to improve system security, which I don't hold an opinion on but the consensus is that it's a slight security improvement instead of a wowzer. What they also appear to be doing is creating a more common Windows experience, which is to say they're essentially raising spec requirements.

Most PC users have to understand that Apple maintain a fairly high spec level, except when it comes to lucrative additions of RAM and SSD, which is Tim Crook-ery at its finest. PC have bragged 'Why Windows can run on next to any machine, no matter how old -- HAR HAR!!!" but what the does is hamper the OS on more sophisticated machines. It's like forcing everyone to eat their dinners on paper plates, even if you just ordered a Ribeye Lobster surf and turf situation.

When competing against Apple you must, well, compete against Apple. Yet at the same time Windows is also trying to compete against Chromebooks. So all they're doing is drawing a line in the sand and saying from this point forward -- things will change. I'm fairly confident they won't do 'this' again anytime soon. What they will do instead is insist OEMS maintain a higher spec level so that 'this' isn't necessary again.

Computers go obsolete all the time. Mac users will lie to your face that they can update Mac OS and iOS on the oldest pieces of hardware. Yes they can. And it runs like crap.

Last edited:

GeneS

Reaction score
My wife has a MAC so know about them.
Hers runs great
I've been using PC's since MSDOS and first windows.
So I spent $2800 for a top of the line PC with windows
Now 3 1/2 years later it is obsolete?
If the spec's for windows 11 are checked, my computer meets all of them
Microsoft says it isn't compatible because the cpu isn't on their approved list
But everything else checks fine in their checking program.
I see they included their intel I-7 in the 7 series

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
"So I spent $2800 for a top of the line PC with windows Now 3 1/2 years later it is obsolete?"

In the sense you're asking, YUP, you were 'screwed'. Just like anyone who bought an Intel Mac 3 months before the M1 was released got 'screwed' as well. Not to mention the REALITY that most computers and phones are particularly 'dated' after 3 years.

Your JUST BUY A MAC doesn't solve this problem, does it?

You can still use your PC until 2025. If that doesn't please you, but it on eBay now and take that money and get a BIG discount off a new Windows 11 PC. I say BIG because PCs also tend to go down in price over 3.5 years where powerful Macs typically/merely increase spec instead of dropping prices.

The better reason to switch to Macs is on the horizon. I don't think Windows is going to succeed in getting Android apps on PCs. I think it's vaporware. Or they're stalling until they can figure out what to do.

The FUTURE is what Apple is doing right now: phone apps on computers.

Last edited:

BUNG

Reaction score
Lovely suggestion but is it not true that Windows will not update after the Registry hack?
(Perchance anyone cannot see this posting, please notify me immediately)

BUNG

Reaction score
Apparently, no one saw my initial posting. so I'll attempt to throw this out again perchance someone else out there won't see it. My initial query was, "Is it true that a Windows 11 hack will not permit updates in the future or even in the present?

davehc

Reaction score
No.
1. Microsoft have relented and have even offered ways to overcome and install on incompatible computers - so no third party "hacks" needed.
2. MS have issued a warning, very correctly, that it is unwise to install on an incompatible computer, as future updates (which you will get) may destroy your installation.
Only my opinion, but, I think, if that should happen, there will be ways quickly found to circumvent the problem(s)
I have been running it, on and off, for many weeks. Now on the final release. I have not, yet, had any real problems on a very old Laptop.

BUNG

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. When you say 'future updates may destroy your installation' - for someone who is next door to a novice, that's all the reason I need to avoid attempting to take that course. For you, it would be easy; for me, not easy at all. Thank you again for responding.

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
BUNG. Saw your post but didn't have a complete answer to offer.

Just about a year ago I bought a Mini PC with a Celeron chip. It's my TV PC and I highly recommend folks consider them in addition to a TV Box (like a Roku or Amazon stick). The reason I like it is that, for instance, with an ad blocker you can watch YouTube interruption free. You can also stream obscure films and channels those boxes are built to prevent you from using... which explains why those boxes include everything except a web browser.

The problem is that Mini PC won't get 11. Now it was so cheap I could just use it until it dies. Or I could unload it on eBay while it still holds some value. I got it at a steal price from AliExpress -- $170 -- and may be able to take a minimal loss on the sale.

One thing the original poster would find interesting -- this restrictive Windows 11 update decimated the small Chinese Mini PC startups. They've been pushing 5th and 6th Gen Intels this last year or so in tiny PCs. Now NONE of them will support 11. Beelink, Minisforum, and others may be completely screwed.

Last edited:

Mal

Reaction score
My main pc meets all the requirements for Win 11except for my cpu so unless Microsoft amend their current strategy I will not be updating it to Win 11 and instead will continue to run Win 10 until it is time to replace my motherboard and cpu (and possibly my Graphics card).

Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming
Graphics - ASUS ROG STRIX GT970
CPU - Intel i5 6600

I'm sure you can see it is prohibitively expensive for a retired invalided ex serviceman to update to comply with Microsofts artibary policy. To say I'm not best pleased would be a huge understatement!

Garyw

Reaction score
BUNG. Saw your post but didn't have a complete answer to offer.

Just about a year ago I bought a Mini PC with a Celeron chip. It's my TV PC and I highly recommend folks consider them in addition to a TV Box (like a Roku or Amazon stick). The reason I like it is that, for instance, with an ad blocker you can watch YouTube interruption free. You can also stream obscure films and channels those boxes are built to prevent you from using... which explains why those boxes include everything except a web browser.

The problem is that Mini PC won't get 11. Now it was so cheap I could just use it until it dies. Or I could unload it on eBay while it still holds some value. I got it at a steal price from AliExpress -- $170 -- and may be able to take a minimal loss on the sale.

One thing the original poster would find interesting -- this restrictive Windows 11 update decimated the small Chinese Mini PC startups. They've been pushing 5th and 6th Gen Intels this last year or so in tiny PCs. Now NONE of them will support 11. Beelink, Minisforum, and others may be completely screwed.
Not all of them fail the 11 test. I have one from a company named Kodlux that is 11 capable, and I plan to update it to W11 when it's offered. This one came with a two core Celeron chip, 8 Gb ram and a 60 Gb non- removable system drive. It also supports (1) 2.5" drive and a m.2 NVME SSD which I am using. It's a nice little system that seldom bogs down. I think I got it from Amazon at a reasonable price.

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
Not all of them fail the 11 test. I have one from a company named Kodlux that is 11 capable, and I plan to update it to W11 when it's offered. This one came with a two core Celeron chip, 8 Gb ram and a 60 Gb non- removable system drive. It also supports (1) 2.5" drive and a m.2 NVME SSD which I am using. It's a nice little system that seldom bogs down. I think I got it from Amazon at a reasonable price.

Good point. But a LOT of them won't work is my point. Kodlux is related to Minisforum somehow.

Ask a Question