Windows 11 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED explorer.exe

Ruslan

Reaction score
Hello
After installing Windows 11 Pro 23H2 I'm experincing random PC reboots. No matter I'm gaming, working, searching the net, or just idle. Sometimes it comes with the BSOD saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, sometimes not.

In the system events log it says critical error kernel power 41 63. BugcheckCode is 239
I checked MEMORY.DMP with WinDbg and found some references to explorer.exe:

PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe CRITICAL_PROCESS: explorer.exe ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x3a3c7080 - <Unable to get error code text> CRITICAL_PROCESS_REPORTGUID: {bcf8bebb-2b1e-4200-b231-f3f857b3f600} IMAGE_NAME: explorer.exe MODULE_NAME: explorer FAULTING_MODULE: 00007ff7ec0d0000 explorer

I TRIED:
clean windows installation
checking system files integrity (sfc scannow, DISM, RestoreHealth etc)
reseting, updating BIOS (latest is installed)
updating all drivers (there are no divices without drivers)
scanning RAM with windows tool
scanning all my hard drives
scanning for viruses

Overall no mulfunctions detected after scans, everyting seems to be OK

I can't really blame my hardware, because it was running nice on win10 before. The only thing new is RAM, however I can't see what could be wrong with it

Config:
1T Kingston SSD m2 mvne with windows on it
ASUS Tuf x670e MB
r9 7900x
RTX 3080ti
G.Skill Trident Z5 RAM running on 6k Hz (with AMD EXPO or 4700 by default, see no difference related to the problem)
1000W PSU

What is causing this error? Thanks in advance

DKenn

Reaction score
If you have performed a clean install of Windows 11 the only real options are hardware or drivers. It does seem unlikely that your hardware went wrong at the same time as the upgrade to Windows 11. I would suggest downloading latest Windows 11 drivers for your motherboard drivers from the ASUS website and graphics drivers from the AMD website.

There are several drivers for your motherboard with improved stability for Windows 11.

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
Hello
After installing Windows 11 Pro 23H2 I'm experincing random PC reboots. No matter I'm gaming, working, searching the net, or just idle. Sometimes it comes with the BSOD saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, sometimes not.

In the system events log it says critical error kernel power 41 63. BugcheckCode is 239
I checked MEMORY.DMP with WinDbg and found some references to explorer.exe:

PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe CRITICAL_PROCESS: explorer.exe ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x3a3c7080 - <Unable to get error code text> CRITICAL_PROCESS_REPORTGUID: {bcf8bebb-2b1e-4200-b231-f3f857b3f600} IMAGE_NAME: explorer.exe MODULE_NAME: explorer FAULTING_MODULE: 00007ff7ec0d0000 explorer

I TRIED:
clean windows installation
checking system files integrity (sfc scannow, DISM, RestoreHealth etc)
reseting, updating BIOS (latest is installed)
updating all drivers (there are no divices without drivers)
scanning RAM with windows tool
scanning all my hard drives
scanning for viruses

Overall no mulfunctions detected after scans, everyting seems to be OK

I can't really blame my hardware, because it was running nice on win10 before. The only thing new is RAM, however I can't see what could be wrong with it

Config:
1T Kingston SSD m2 mvne with windows on it
ASUS Tuf x670e MB
r9 7900x
RTX 3080ti
G.Skill Trident Z5 RAM running on 6k Hz (with AMD EXPO or 4700 by default, see no difference related to the problem)
1000W PSU

What is causing this error? Thanks in advance
I suggest testing the ram. Visit the link below for more info;

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hello,

I suppose this is related to KB5030310 .. try uninstall this update via Windows Update History section, if you can't then please run the command wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:5030310 and wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:5031354 in Command Prompt or Windows Terminal as an Administrator ..

Just open Task Manager -> see top right side Run New Task and tick the Run as Administrative Privileges type and open CMD from there ..

Once the KB5030310 has been uninstalled, restart the computer and ignore future KB5030310 because Microsoft sent it as a test preview purpose, there are alots of users affected by this update ..

Please post result here :)

Last edited:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score

Vote:

Ruslan

Reaction score
Some reference for you ..

- https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/something-didnt-go-as-planned-kb5030310-kb-5030219/
-
https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/09/30/windows-11-kb5030310-issues-moment-4-september-26-patch-is-buggy/

I also saw your questionaire in Microsoft Support site, ignore them as they will give crappy solutions which won't work and those are not official Microsoft support personnels ..​
Hello
Thank you for your answer

How can I see that these updates are actually installed? They don't show up in Windows Update History
And is it safe to roll them back via Command Prompt?

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hello
Thank you for your answer

How can I see that these updates are actually installed? They don't show up in Windows Update History
And is it safe to roll them back via Command Prompt?

Thanks ..

I suppose not all installed updated are showing at the WU screen .. u may need 3rd party tools eg. SysMinion to uninstall some updates .. you may try it ..

Vote:

Ask a Question