Windows 11 PC is not detecting my second monitor (usb-c)

John E.

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently encountered another weird issue. At home, I have 2 LG monitors, both identical. When I use my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with Windows 11 Home) they work just fine, but whenever my gf tries to connect her laptop (she has a Surface book 3) the second monitor doesn't work.

Again, when connecting my PC, they work; through HDMI, they work. The only time the second monitor isn't detected is through HDMI on her PC. And this has happened recently, after a random update, I think.

I did the following:
1. uninstalled the latest update
2. updated all the drivers
3. checked for malware on her PC
4. verified the issue with multiple PCs
5. verified the connection

Everything seems good, but the second monitor still isn't detected. Any ideas on what could be happening here? Thanks!

Bigwil4555

Reaction score
John, go into Device Manager and verify each usb port is not powered off to save battery power. If that's not it I suggest you purchase a HDMI splitter from Startech.com. We use them on our Surface Pro's with no problems.
Good Luck!

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
"but whenever my gf tries to connect her laptop (she has a Surface book 3) the second monitor doesn't work."
"The only time the second monitor isn't detected is through HDMI on her PC. And this has happened recently"

1. Not all USB -C cables are universally compatible with various models of computer (differs from the EU verified), this is according to my personal experience since I have few USB-C type cables whereby it fails to communicate with my smartphones and my vape devices and vice-versa.
2. I am not sure about HDMI cable, since I believe all HDMI cables are universally compatible. Sometimes, the signals are not triggered automatically. For example, the user need to use combination keys eg. pressing Fn + the key marked on top row of keyboard with screen icon.
1702635426390.png

Probably, you could test the key combinations for manually pushing the signals?​

Vote:

Ask a Question