Windows 11 Start menu problem

t8769

Reaction score
When searching for a file, there is no option to open containing file location to get to the folder its in.

On other PCs, there is a link which says 'Open file location'.

Why not on my PC, because its a cheap Home version?
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you be specific as to the exact "file" involved in your "search"
There seems to be some difference in the options available, depending on whether you are searching for....
Apps (Universal Windows Platform Apps) like for instances "Calendar" as opposed to actual Win32 Applications for instance "Wordpad".
AND
Unlike Windows 10, "Open file location" seems to have been deprecated to "Copy Path" when searching for random files by name, like image files or song titles.
Why not on my PC, because its a cheap Home version?
Nope.
I'm running Windows 11 Pro (not home) and the search behavior is as I described above.

NOTABLY: IF you use the right arrow in the search box (associated with the file you are actually looking for) it will display "see more information", and to the right you will see the actual file location.
Click that and it does basically the same thing you're trying to accomplish, by opening the file location. Pretty much the exact same way Windows 10 has done for a while.
It works the same, it just doesn't have "open file location" as an actual text / link option.

t8769

Reaction score
Hello

It is mostly Word files.
What do you mean same function?
How can I get to the folder of a file, by copying the link?
All I can do is get the path to the file, but I see no option to open the folder.

Another Win11 PC has a link to open the folder, now sure why on my PC its missing.

Thanks

t8769

Reaction score
OK

I'll try this

Thank you

I still may have to go back to Win10, but I'll try this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I still may have to go back to Win10,
You do you.

Not a huge fan of Windows 11 myself, but.....
I'm learning to live with it.
Always a bit of a learning curve with something new
AND
Then you learn that somethings work, for some people, on some machines, some of the time.
Adds to all the fun... yippee!

davehc

Reaction score
"quote Trouble"
yes, me to.. Quite honestly, many of the problems I read on forums seem to be self inflicted. Changes been made through hacks - in particular in the registry, but most ly because of a lot of emphasis on users personal ways of operating, especially the " One-offs"

There have been quite a few and, imo, unnecessary changes to the layouts. But if you are prepared to have a go, they are easy to get used to. For example, I found the one click old windows 10 start menu quite acceptable and easy to use. Not it is two clicks away! (I wish I could get rid of that great big square though) Not sure, and dont understand, the posts regarding the taskbar and menus on it. I dont use them.

Ask a Question