Why is my PC not upgrading to Windows 11 automatically?

nystormer

Reaction score
I did a fresh install of Windows 11 on my computer, but my wife has an older computer that I don't want to lose data on, so I have not done a clean install. I have checked Windows update many times but don't see an upgrade offered. It is compatible as far as I can tell as it is only 4 years old.

Do I need to do anything to be offered the option of an upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It is compatible as far as I can tell as it is only 4 years old.
4 years might be on the edge for compatibility. Have you managed to run the PC Health Checker to confirm it eligibility?
OR this third party app, which does pretty much the same thing
The link to download the latest stable release is about halfway down the page.
Do I need to do anything to be offered the option of an upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11?
I suspect, like in most past instances, the roll-out of Windows 11 is a "staged roll-out" and not everyone will be offered the upgrade at the same time.
my wife has an older computer that I don't want to lose data on
Regardless of how or if you are able to proceed...
Not all upgrades go as intended and you should take steps in advance to backup all critical data to an external resource perhaps creating a full system image, so as to protect yourself from any unintended circumstances.

nystormer

Reaction score
OK so I've now run that download the computer is compatible. I will wait and see if the rollout catches this computer so that I can avoid doing it manually. Thank you for the advice!

Charliedog

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but my impression is that Windows 11 is rolling out in a reverse chronological order. In other words the newest machines will be offered it first, and the oldest machines that are compatible will be offered it last-MS says up to fall 2022.

I got a new ASUS laptop just before 11 came out, and was offered to upgrade to 11 about a week after I bought the laptop.

So far, my feeling is 11 is just a new coat of paint-but I'm not a gamer or serious user. Maybe time will tell, as the saying goes.

Ask a Question