Windows 11 updates question

Grizzly

Reaction score
On my previous Insider machine I currently have Windows 11 installed (in Lab condition) and the Insider RP. My question is only in regard of Windows 11.
According to MS I should not be able to get updates after the official release of Windows 11 22000.194 which is the base ISO I have it installed from. This install is NOT part of the Insider program as I cannot participate in that due to the fact that the machine is already 13 years old.
However I just updated this install to 22000.258 with the most recent CU. As far as I know that should not be possible yet it is and I do not understand why ?
Can someone please enlighten me in that regard??

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
Did they say that you absolutely wouldn't be able to get updates after the official release, or that you might not be able to? I feel it's more likely that it will stop at some point, as it just won't work at all with hardware that old.

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree, I suspect that a some point it will become more of a problem than it is worth.
They warned of possible problems with updates.
They warned of potential system crashes
AND
Then they all but published a means of installing it anyway.
Not to mention all the hacks and work-arounds out there on the web.

I guess in the mean-time we can look at it as a "gift", while at the same time remembering the Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
It is a small risk, but it exists. My own view is that if a subsequent update cannot find, or use, the item, it will just ignore it. Maybe not worth the risk except for the enthusiastic.
I have been using it in its Beta stage and then the final release. There have been several quite large updates which have gone through without incident - so far.

Vote:

Grizzly

Reaction score
I suspect that the updates will cease at some point. Windows 11 is however running nicely on that old machine. I am trying to learn about Win11 on that machine since MS has redesigned the GUI and spread everything around so users as me need to look around for certain settings, adjustments etc...
Maybe the update stop only affects the Insider, I dunno...

Vote:

Ask a Question