Windows shutdown pop-up box pop ups randomly for 1 year

hreich

Reaction score

What is event ID for windows shutdown pop-up box​

I am trying to find what is causing this pop-up box to appear... This is on new dell PC with new win11 installation (i even did the reinstall of win11 from scratch). I also disabled alt+f4 combo, because this event is random and not executed by user (i even disabled alt+f4 because i wanted to exclude that maybe keyboard sends alt+f4 combo to PC)...This is ongoing for almost a year, and it's random event that shows sometimes after 2-3 weeks, and sometimes it's daily. I did all the DISM command mode commands to fix win installation, and even did the win11 complete reinstall)...Is there a system event ID which is connected to his pop up window so i can track it through windows event tracker app?

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Windows is not designed for that program to call itself. It has to be called, by something or someone else.
The "Shutdown.exe" Program, resides in C:\Windows\System32. It can do nothing by itself, but only runs when it's called.

I just did a little experiment. I changed the name of the file and then tried to call "Shutdown.exe" and I only got an error.
That might be something you could also try.

Now I'm going to see if my renamed shutdown command can actually shut down my PC.
I'll be back.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Yes it did, using my Quick Shutdown Shortcut, and the renamed Shutdown command.
However, when I executed a Shutdown from the button just off of the start button. (I'm using the Open Shell) So, I'm thinking that possibly there is an alternate "Shutdown" command somewhere.
I need to investigate this some more.

I'll be back!

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
OK, suspecting that there might be more than one "Shutdown.exe" file in the Windows OS, I did the following:

I opened a CMD prompt and typed in"
dir /a/s shutdown.exe [Enter]
The report showed me that there are actually four Shutdown.exe files in Windows.
And, they are not even the same size. Two are 23.064 and two are 53.248.

If I were having your problem, I would find every one of those instances of Shutdown.exe and rename them , one at a time, till I find the one that's causing the problem, then just leave it renamed.

But as for what's calling for a shutdown, it almost has to be some program that you've installed on your computer.

Take a look in Task Manager and disable every program that you don't absolutely HAVE to have running.

Ask a Question