Worth upgrading?

bryan123

Reaction score
Should i upgrade to windows 11? I bought a new laptop and able to upgrade from windows 10 or should i stay with 10? I have an acer laptop. Hows the performance with 11?

orlbuckeye

Reaction score
I've seen better performance and haven't had any compatibility issues with software. Really Windows 11 is Windows 10 features update with a name change to 11.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Windows 11 and would especially recommend the upgrade if you're running a new laptop - it's much easier to do the update now than later on down the line when you've already got the system set up with Windows 10.

orlbuckeye

Reaction score
I just bought a PC and Windows 10 was installed and I did 2 Windows 10 updates before the option to upgrade to Win 11 was available. I did it as soon as it was available. Now both pc's i have are Windows 11.

larrydonline

Reaction score
I've had Windows 11 for about two weeks. Unless there's some specific reason to upgrade from 10, I don't recommend it. I haven't found any features that I like better than in 10 except for maybe the search function. Clicking on the magnifying glass icon, which replaces the box to type in, opens a mini access window into many functions. You can access calculator, snipping tool, settings, files, browser. Plus it has quick access to search "today in history", "new movies", "translate" and "markets today". There are other options to focus a search on by categories too.

It's not a function I used much in Windows 10 so I don't know how much better this new app works. One feature in 11 I definitely don't like yet is the right click menu. "Open", "Open With", "Compress to zip file", "Copy As Path", "Properties", "Share with Skype" and "Show more options" are the default choices, plus icons for Delete, Cut, Copy, Share, and Rename. I find I'm clicking on "show more options" most of the time to get to the screen where I can pick Bulk Rename, Open with Tag&Rename, 7Zip, Edit ID Tags, and other shortcut functions.

Although the basic functions of dealing with files are just as convenient in Windows 11's right click menu, I fail to see what was gained since all the new things they've added don't interest me. They've also added permanent icons on the taskbar for Chat and Widgets. There's no right click option to "unpin from task bar" for those. More stuff taking up space where I don't want it to.

But in general it's not that much of a redesign of Windows 10 from the visual end. I was happy the upgrade didn't mess with my font settings or the look of the desktop.

Mickey52

Reaction score
seeing you have a new computer I would, I did love it things running faster than Win10. I today checked if my 2-year-old laptop drivers were up to date. I updated two drivers now I have more features than before.

larrydonline

Reaction score
Should i upgrade to windows 11? I bought a new laptop and able to upgrade from windows 10 or should i stay with 10? I have an acer laptop. Hows the performance with 11?
I didn't comment on performance but I don't see any difference with Windows 11 vs. 10. It's not faster or slower, it's exactly the same. I think speed of computers performing program execution is controlled by your processor's speed and maybe room on your drives.

Genkilljoy

Reaction score
Plain and simple... Yes.
It's a path in the right direction.
All OS work exceptionally well on new hardware... I installed Win 11 on my old Dell 2007 XPS 1330 and it run, but does so sluggishly. On my new 2021 Dell Xps 9310 it runs as a charm.

Mickey52

Reaction score
if you can update drivers and BIOS on the older one, speed and features of
win11 should improve. I have noticed spell and Grammer changes works better with left mouse key in Win11 versus right in Win10.

Pocah

Reaction score
I would check out whether any functionality you need has been removed or changed in 11. Personally I use the Toolbars in Win10 and to me it's a deal breaker that they have been removed in 11. Also there seem to be some performance issues with 11. These things may not bother you. Just check things out before you jump!

alan sh

Reaction score
In response to Larrydonline, you can remove the chat and widget icons - it's in settings somewhere. I can't remember where, though.

In response to the original poster, personally, I can't see the point. I have a test machine with W11 on it that I am using to evaluate. I can't find any feature that makes me think I must upgrade my other two machines (desktop & laptop). So, ask your self - why? What advantage will it give you - and what will it take away? Personally, I hate the new explorer where it used to be one click to create a new folder and now it's two - and right click has been made much less useful. Also, as Pocah says, performance seems to be crippled. My test machine is about 50% faster than my main machine (CPU and hard disk) but it feels slower.

Alan

davehc

Reaction score
"Worth" Tough wording of your question. It would probably depend on whether you are an enthusiastic, or game player user.

But, I would agree with Ian's post #3. Brand new computer, you cannot really go wrong. Yes, as said, there is in reality, only mainly cosmetic differences, but it will not set you back in any way and, of course, in the eyes of MS, you have moved with their stable.

My own tests, on an older computer, show some small but obvious improvements all around. I read that some users have not had that experience.

Gandalf

Reaction score
Can I download Spotify with Windows 11 and has Windows Media Player has now been fully Upgraded taking place of the abandoned Groove Music?

larrydonline

Reaction score
Groove is still on Windows Eleven on my computer. MPC-HC is version 10.0.22000. It says it was updated Dec. 14, 2021. I've never used Spotify, but I see no reason that any program that ran under Windows 10 won't also work on Win 11.

Mickey52

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of benefit not a gamer, but I like to keep up dated like my phone does every day. Don't want to be like 3g phone users being left behind the world.

Gandalf

Reaction score
Groove is still on Windows Eleven on my computer. MPC-HC is version 10.0.22000. It says it was updated Dec. 14, 2021. I've never used Spotify, but I see no reason that any program that ran under Windows 10 won't also work on Win 11.
Thank you for your reply and I am relieved to know that the new Media player app will rip and burn Cds. I read that trying to download Spotify in Windows 11 will involve a little adjustments (I think there are three tests that can be used) one of them is to disconnect entirely ones computer from the internet and then connect again if download does not work then to progress to test2 and if no joy progress to test3. I suppose with new Windows11 it should improve things but from two users of Windows11 I get opposite views that's why I am being a little cautious as to whether to get Windows11...

davehc

Reaction score
The op can take hi pick from the very different offers up to when the subject changed. But he seems to have gone now.
fwiw, re another post, performance is very much related to Hardware, but is influenced by the way the software handles it.

I ran a performance test on an old Dell Laptop - same software on 10 and 11, all similar functions running. Obviously it will vary according to the computer you are using. These were my results, not much, I would say, but a move forward. however:

Win10.pngwin11.pngwin11.png

Ask a Question