Would update actually know whether a PC is " authorized" or not?

krasnejv

Reaction score
So apparently MS has stated that, at some time in the future, they will no longer supply updates to machines that don't meet their draconian specs for installation. My question is, would update actually know whether a PC is " authorized" or not? There are already thousands of unauthorized PC's running W11 just fine, and (to this point) receiving updates. Would MS do some kind of checking of the hardware in the future before allowing an update?

I'm kind of hesitant about "upgrading" and then at some point down the road not being able to get security updates. The way MS is handling this whole process, with the only-10-day rollback period, the hardware requirements, and the 2024 cutoff for W10 support, seems like some kind of sick joke.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

davehc

Reaction score
F
So apparently MS has stated that, at some time in the future, they will no longer supply updates to machines that don't meet their draconian specs for installation. My question is, would update actually know whether a PC is " authorized" or not? There are already thousands of unauthorized PC's running W11 just fine, and (to this point) receiving updates. Would MS do some kind of checking of the hardware in the future before allowing an update?

I'm kind of hesitant about "upgrading" and then at some point down the road not being able to get security updates. The way MS is handling this whole process, with the only-10-day rollback period, the hardware requirements, and the 2024 cutoff for W10 support, seems li some kind of sick joke.

Regarding your first sentence. Where did you read that statement. Can you give a link?
I have read several references to it, but the only substantive comment is from Microsoft themselves, who have stated that such computers will not be supported. Imo. This implies that you can use, and will get, the updates, but MS are off the hook if things go wrong. Just my interpretation.
The 10 day obligation is easily circumvented. Make an image of Windows 11 after a succesful install, and make subsequent images. Ditto Windows 10 before you install Windows 11. I havent put it to the test, but Microsoft allow you to do this more legally, but, the penalty is it needs to be a clean install

Last edited:

BigFeet

Reaction score
That's a pretty old article. Microsoft has backed off it. I think davehc's interpretation is correct.

orlbuckeye

Reaction score

I'm kind of hesitant about "upgrading" and then at some point down the road not being able to get security updates. The way MS is handling this whole process, with the only-10-day rollback period, the hardware requirements, and the 2024 cutoff for W10 support, seems like some kind of sick joke.

Well remember when MS first released Windows it took a digital snapshot of your PC. Meaning you hardware configuration is stored on their servers.

Ask a Question