Cannot seem to uninstall or disable the Snipping Tool

dlhtox

Reaction score
Hello smart people!

I have an issue where I cannot for the life of me disable the Snipping Tool. I want to be able to use Snagit 2023 with the PrtScrn button but no matter WHAT the snipping tool comes up.

I am on the latest build of Windows 11 Pro (22621.1413).

I have done all of the Googled things to disable it.

1. Turn off "Use the print screen" to open screen snipping under Settings -> Accessibility ->Keyboard

TurnOffPrintScreen.png

2. Add 32-bit Dword called "PrintScreenKeyForSnippingEnabled" to registry under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard"

SnippingReg.png

3. "Do not Allow Snipping Tool To Run" set to Enabled using Group Policy (GPEDIT.MSC) and going to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Tablet PC -> Accessories

GpeditSnipping.png

4. Uninstall Snipping Tool

(Just searched for Snipping Tool, and right-clicked and clicked Uninstall. It no longer shows up as a Windows Feature

And I rebooted the computer after each step above just for good measure.

This is what comes up when I press PrtScrn

SnippingTool.png

Thanks so much for reading this.

RogerOver

Reaction score
There is a very useful tool from Stephano Bordoni to remove Windows Apps, called "Sys_minion": https://www.stefanobordoni.cloud/projects/sys_minion/
In the menu on the left side, click on "Installed Apps" and then in the right window on "Let's start it".
I like it a lot, you can also remove useless drivers, etc. You could give it a try !

dlhtox

Reaction score
I tried the utility you mentioned and chose to remove "Microsoft.screensketch" but it still comes up.

I removed some other useless stuff as well, so again thanks for that utility.

I found that my PrtSc key on my Lenovo Ideapad was actually needing me to press FN and then the key.

Without FN there is the Snipping Tool popup because it activates the snipping tool and shows scissors and a dashed line like a drawing boundary.

Sooo.... I STILL am really bothered that most of the above seems to have disabled or uninstalled the tool.. more out of principal now than anything I'm still trying to vanquish this foe.

I think the Lenovo hotkey software is probably responsible for triggering the Snipping Tool.. maybe it hits the EXE directly and this somehow bypasses the stuff above.. I would think the uninstall through the normal dialog of right-click uninstall would have done it, or the removal of microsoft.screensketch in the utility you mentioned.

RogerOver

Reaction score
What I am doing when I messed up with unistalling an application is to first reinstall it. This will override all the "half uninstalls" I did before. So you just need to go to the Micorosoft Store and find "Capture & Sketch" (not sure how it is called in English) and install it. Then uninstall it the normal way or with the above tool and normally everything should be fine.

Ask a Question