Connecting 2 wireless routers

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
this is to replace failed router and cable moden/router which was hit by lighting surge. I can't remember how previous was setup.

cable modem/router is motorola MT8733
I have network cable from this in home to my detached garage
MT8733 192.168.0.1 DHCP on
AX1800 I have DHCP off and set to 192.168.0.2 out of box was 192.168.0.1
Wireless tab is setup
but when network cable from home to garage network is connected it doesn't work.

what is correct way to setup?

thanks

Grizzly

Reaction score
What IP address did you give the AX1800?? With two routers together, the second router needs a IP address in the 192.168.0.1 subnetwork. Since you have DHCP the second router will get that. The second router can't have a IP address in the range of the first router since the second router is a new subnetwork unless you have configured the second router is a switch not a router. If you set the gateway IP to 192.168.1.1 the second router should then work.
REMEMBER: 192.168.x.1 is always the Gateway IP.

I have a similar setup using two routers, the main router is 192.168.1.1 and the second router is 192.168.0.1. It works like a dream.

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
Here's what I got back from AX1800 support;

Thank you for contacting TP-Link support.
May I ask why you want to turn off the DHCP server of AX20? Have you manually assigned IP addresses on end-devices? Generally, end-devices will automatically get IP addresses from the router, which requires the router's DHCP server to be turned on, so that end-devices can connect to the router's network
Could you please try to set the AX20 as a DHCP server? And the internet connection type is dynamic IP, anyd then please check if the ax20 get the IP from the MT8733. (see picture1)
At that time, is the internet led green? Can you get internet from the ax20?
I searched for your modem and found that this modem has WiFi function. Do you use it as a modem or as a modem router? Do you want to configure a mesh network in your home? If so, you can change this router to Access Point mode. How to change the ax20 as an access point: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1384/

In this way, the ax20 get an IP from the MT8733, and the end-devices connected to the ax20 also will get IP from the MT8733.

When I followed this during setup it indicated conflict and assigned 192.168.1.1 while wifi sorta worked but not well. Also had to reconfigure wifi in home. when connecting PC with cable connection was also flaky. Years back when I setup cisco I remember turning off DHCP and assigning IP but don't remember how?

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
The method is similar like setting up an Extender, a standard factory DHCP will work fine rather than manual IP settings :)

Ask a Question