Custom Explorer Folder Icons

rastanz

Reaction score
Does anybody use custom folder icons in extra large view and do you have a problem with them randomly turning blurry like they're at low quality dpi?

Since I updated to Windows 11 version 22631.2129, my custom folder icons have randomly been doing the above. A restart of Windows Explorer sets them back to their original 128x128 dpi but a glitch in the update keeps changing them back to lower quality.

I've tried clean installs of both nVidia driver versions, gaming and studio with no change, ran scandisk for errors (clean), checked my ico properties and sizes 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 which are good to go. Never had this issue until now since after the build update.

Here's a pic of what I mean.
Blurry 2.png

I'm trying to avoid a roll back to the previous build as some of my apps and external hardware (audio interfaces) have recently gone through some lengthy updates and fine tuning that required multiple reboots.

Any suggestions or fixes would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

RogerOver

Reaction score
What happens if you clear your icon cache, f.i. with "IconCache Rebilder": https://www.thewindowsclub.com/icon-cache-rebuilder-for-windows-10 ?
Otherwise I can also recommend: "WinFileFoldercab" https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/diagnose-and-fix-windows-file-and-folder-problems/ which is more complete and resolves nearly every problem with the File Explorer.

Edit: If the problem comes back, the problem could be that your icon cache is too small (as you use large and customized icons). there is a registry hack for this: for the easy solution download the registry file here: https://winaero.com/change-icon-cache-size-windows-10/ (plus the undo file) and run it.

Last edited:

Vote:

rastanz

Reaction score
Edit: If the problem comes back, the problem could be that your icon cache is too small (as you use large and customized icons). there is a registry hack for this: for the easy solution download the registry file here: https://winaero.com/change-icon-cache-size-windows-10/ (plus the undo file) and run it.
I changed the cache size via the registry to 8MB but I also noticed something weird, the string value name of the cache size had spaces between each wording "Max Cached Icons" instead of "MaxCachedIcons" as in the tutorial link.

I know Windows is fussy when it comes to exact case size, symbols and commands so just maybe this could've possibly been the culprit all along. The mislabeled string might have created a conflict with Windows Explorer refreshing the icons because it couldn't locate the icon cache. It's a reach but there's no harm in trying it out and if it doesn't solve anything then I'll just change it back.

You can follow either @RogerOver guide or mine here https://www.windows11forums.com/threads/easy-context-menu-v1-6.1845/ and restart the computer to take effect.

Some useful menu's are Rebuild Icon Cache, Restart, Force Shutdown, Delete Temporary Files, Reduce Memory or some of your desired commands .. have fun :)
Nice thread and some handy tools, I just tried that icon rebuilder piece of software to see if that may further help with my issue but I found an error in the registry (reply above) and adjusted it to see if that might fix things.

If the above registry fix solves my issue then I'll get back to you guys.

Thanks for your input, much appreciate your replies.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Actually, most users don't have the item I have marked below screnshot no. 1, enabling this will make the access in REGISTRY without hassle, to do that goto RUN COMMAND and type SECPOL.MSC, inside there enable both in screenshot no.2 below and restart system.

Those right click commands feature will have access to REGISTRY easily. No worries as this trick won't harm your system as perfectly tested by me.

1691406828250.png
1691407242301.png

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
I know Windows is fussy
:D !

I think you know a lot more than me about "DOS --> Window"s (and I admit that I am sometimes pesting against DOS, because the littelest typing error is penalised, ... and I am not one of these "very exact persons"), but if I may, I'd like to add another "hint":

When you change your folder and file icons (in Explorer and else), you have certainly stored your icons somewhere (in a specific folder). From experience (and for security reasons), I always set these customized and stored icons to "Read only". Click all the icons in that folder, then rightclick one of the icons, go to properties and chose: "Read only". ... Yeah, you can do that for all your icons in that folder at once.

Thank you ... and please come back !

Last edited:

Vote:

rastanz

Reaction score
Actually, most users don't have the item I have marked below screnshot no. 1, enabling this will make the access in REGISTRY without hassle, to do that goto RUN COMMAND and type SECPOL.MSC, inside there enable both in screenshot no.2 below and restart system.

Those right click commands feature will have access to REGISTRY easily. No worries as this trick won't harm your system as perfectly tested by me.​
Interesting, I'll check it out and have a play around with it as it sounds like a way more convenient way to access the Registry. Thanks.

:D !

I think you know a lot more than me about "DOS --> Window"s (and I admit that I am sometimes pesting against DOS, because the littelest typing error is penalised, ... and I am not one of these "very exact persons"), but if I may, I'd like to add another "hint":

When you change your folder and file icons (in Explorer and else), you have certainly stored your icons somewhere (in a specific folder). From experience (and for security reasons), I always set these customized and stored icons to "Read only". Click all the icons in that folder, then rightclick one of the icons, go to properties and chose: "Read only". ... Yeah, you can do that for all your icons in that folder at once.

Thank you ... and please come back !
Not so much a DOS person, my knowledge only goes as far as instruction tutorials otherwise I'm just as clueless as the next guy :LOL:

I have my custom icons stored inside an allocated folder on a specific SSD drive along with my Photoshop installation.
I use Photoshop to create and save the icons in png format then Microangelo Studio to create my ico files from my saved png's, I also save as "Read Only" unless I'm planning to further edit the icon.

In saying that, all hopes of fixing my icon issue by renaming the string value "MaxCachedIcons" has failed, my icons turned blurry again only a short while after.

Being fresh out of ideas and unable to nail the culprit I decided to roll back from Insider Build: 22631.2050 to the previous Insider Build: 22624.2129. The icon issue is now gone and my folders are back to displaying their original hi dpi quality, I also avoided any firmware updates that were applied during the newer build and I didn't need to reinstall drivers for my external hardware.

One other thing I thought was a bit buggy on the latest Beta build was Explorer load times, I noticed folder items would take slightly longer to load with the wait circle spinning 5 to sometimes 10 seconds before it would disappear. Rolling back to the previous build also fixed that behavior.

It may possibly have been something running in the background, some resource hog affecting my CPU or RAM usage making my system spike which could've been associated to my folder icon glitch, who knows, but I personally think the new UI Windows Explorer toolbar and new look details pane has a lot to do with extended load times.

Anyway, thanks for your valid input guys, much appreciate your time.

Cheers.

Vote:

rastanz

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Here's where I'm at with my Windows 11.

I re-updated to the latest Insider Build: 22631.2191 Version 23H2 as I needed a few new driver updates for my external hardware because I forgot the fact that when you roll back or System Restore to an earlier point it removes everything that was automatically installed by Windows regardless if I installed updates before hand, the newer one's would go bye bye's. Plus I was more or less preventing any Defender updates from happening as I had enabled the "pause updates" for a week option.

Seems that the latest build had addressed my blurry icons issue that I was having as my folders haven't bugged out yet (YAYE!), I've also noticed Microsoft have added more information in the details pane which is awesome as I can now see all of my files properties at a simple glance exactly where it once was, it saves time with all the extra clicking just to retrieve file properties information.

Still a little annoyed with the "busy circle" spinning around my mouse pointer which seems like it's taking forever to index some of my music and movie folders, specifically my large backup folders with full UHD 4K content, but hopefully, once all my folders are properly indexed the "busy circle" will go away.

Cheers.​

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Still a little annoyed with the "busy circle" spinning around my mouse pointer which seems like it's taking forever to index some of my music and movie folders, specifically my large backup folders with full UHD 4K content, but hopefully, once all my folders are properly indexed the "busy circle" will go away.
Several things can cause that "busy circle" starting with how much RAM is installed, any programs running in the background using memory, the size setting of the Virtual Memory/paging file/swapfile, how many files are in the folder and maybe how large they are, if an External drive being unplugged and plugged back in cause re-indexing, with HDDs their speed of 5400RPM, 7200RPM or 10000RPM, the speed of the CPU, etc. My Desktops have an internal storage drive and the speed of 7200RPM is better than the 5200RPM models. Corruption of files on the drive can cause issues so good to run Error Checking after doing file management work if seeing slowness.

Vote:

rastanz

Reaction score
Several things can cause that "busy circle" starting with how much RAM is installed, any programs running in the background using memory, the size setting of the Virtual Memory/paging file/swapfile, how many files are in the folder and maybe how large they are, if an External drive being unplugged and plugged back in cause re-indexing, with HDDs their speed of 5400RPM, 7200RPM or 10000RPM, the speed of the CPU, etc. My Desktops have an internal storage drive and the speed of 7200RPM is better than the 5200RPM models. Corruption of files on the drive can cause issues so good to run Error Checking after doing file management work if seeing slowness.
Hello Bighorn and thanks for your input.

Here are my specs:

Main System:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K Coffee Lake-S Socket H4 LGA1151 OC @ 5.0 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Z390 ATX ROG Maximus XI Formula
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super Advanced Gaming
Memory: Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM Total 32GB
Storage OS: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe Internal SSD PCIe 4.0
Storage Internal: Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" Internal SSD V-NAND SATA3 6GB/s x2
Audio: SupremeFX Realtek High Definition Audio ALC1220
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22631.2191 23H2
WIFI: Wireless-AC 9560 2 x 2 Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO 802.11

Monitor:
Monitor Name: LG GSM5AE2 3440x1440 Pixel Clock 319.75 MHz

Peripherals:
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard CHERRY MX Low Profile Red
Mouse: Corsair GLAIVE RGB PRO Gaming Mouse - Black
Mouse Pad: Steel Series QCK PRISM XL Gaming Mat
Speakers: Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Speaker System THX-Certified 500-watts RMS

Additional Storage:
Seagate Enterprise Capacity (Exos) 14TB 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB 512e/4kn Helium x4
Seagate Enterprise Capacity (Exos) 20TB 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB 512e/4kn Helium x4

The "busy circle" only just happened after updating to the latest Insider Build, my system ran smoothly on an earlier version.

I'd guess that Windows more than likely had to re-index everything on my external drive bays (JBOD config) as the "busy circle" seems to have settled.

I also noticed Windows automatically reset my Page File to a recommended 4000MB.

When I originally built my PC back in December 2019, I set the Page File to a custom size of 5000MB minimum and 8000MB maximum on it's own 10GB partition, I've never had any memory issues or sluggish performance with those settings.

I ran a OCCT performance Benchmark that completed with no issues, and also a disk check that come out clean.

I'm going to test my GPU again but I'm confident it was just the updated Insider Build undergoing system maintenance.

Cheers.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
It's hard to diagnose
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K Coffee Lake-S Socket H4 LGA1151 OC @ 5.0 GHz
It's hard to diagnose issues when the default settings of a computer have been modified such as in OverClocking. I don't make those modifications as I have clients to deal with and need to see what they see when having issues, and they are mostly older folks that wouldn't do such things, probably wouldn't know how.

Vote:

rastanz

Reaction score
It's hard to diagnose

It's hard to diagnose issues when the default settings of a computer have been modified such as in OverClocking. I don't make those modifications as I have clients to deal with and need to see what they see when having issues, and they are mostly older folks that wouldn't do such things, probably wouldn't know how.

I disable my OC when diagnosing conflict, I run the same tests at default as I do with OC'd settings, I usually found that if it happens at default with a new Insider Build and not with a previous version then I just skip that newer build and wait for the next update release.

What ever conflict I was having is usually fixed in the next Insider Build update and it always turns out to be Windows vs Manufacturer driver conflicts.

Cheers.

Vote:

Ask a Question