Default location not recognized by mapping web sites

Paige Miller

Reaction score
It used to be, in Windows 10 and Windows 11, that when I navigated to a mapping web site such as maps.google.com (but this problem also happens with maps.bing.com and mapquest.com), the default appearance of the map would be centered on my current location, which is my home. Now, this doesn't happen in Windows11 and sometimes the default appearance of the map is now centered elsewhere in the county I live, away from my current location by tens of miles. And the default appearance of the map changes from location to location, each time I try it. I have tried to set the Windows 11 settings for default location to my actual address, which is shows correctly, but this has not helped. I have tried this in Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Opera, all showing the same problem. If it matters, my computer is connected to the internet via Ethernet cable.

Also, using the same ISP, my cell phone going through the WiFi at the exact same location does not have this problem, Google maps and others show my current location when I launch the app.

So, how do I fix this?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Look into (Computer) Settings\Confidentiality&Security (or similar, My computer is in French)\Localisation. Is it set to ON or OFF ?

Vote:

Ask a Question