Full release of Windows 11?

Traijan

Reaction score
I bought a new laptop and Windows 10 was not an option so it came with Windows 11.
1. Is there a way to downgrade to Windows 10 without having to do a fresh install of 10?
If not, Is there a way to get back the functionality of how the Windows 10 start menu and task bar work? Things like being able to right click anywhere on the start bar to open task manager instead of Win 11 having to right click on the start button to get task manager, or the same look and functions of the Win 10 start menu.

I'm in the Windows insider program though I've never actually downloaded anything, but the latest email showed they are working on release candidate ####
How do I have it on my new laptop if they're still working on release candidates? Or is Win 11 fully released and release candidate means they are still improving and adding features and functions for an update down the road?

Little rant from me below, so ignore if you like.
I loved Windows 7 start menu and functionality, I absolutely hated Win 8 due to the changes to the start menu, I got on Win 10 asap when it came out and disliked the start menu system but over the time that 10's been out, I've gotten use to it and comfortable with it and then Microsoft goes and changes it again in 11.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a way to downgrade to Windows 10 without having to do a fresh install of 10?
No... not that I know of. Probably depends on the OEM licensing agreement and whether or not the manufacturer or perhaps the seller has negotiated and provisioned for downgrade rights. I recall something similar in early days of 10 but I've not seen any discussions related to 11.
AND
Probably the last thing you want to do anyway until you've had time to determine that the laptop functions normally and is completely bug free as provided.
disliked the start menu system but over the time that 10's been out, I've gotten use to it and comfortable with it
You and practically everyone else. I remember the rants and everyone pursuing Classic Shell or one of the others so they could have the Windows 7 start menu back.
Is there a way to get back the functionality of how the Windows 10 start menu and task bar work?
Nope.
There are some third party shell overlays, but they're not fully fleshed out yet and lack some specific functions
Start11 is one of the better ones, but it's still early in development and I don't know how much they can sneak by Microsoft or how much Microsoft might thwart their efforts as time goes on.

There is some hope that Microsoft will hear some of the protests through the Feedback Hub regarding Start Menu and Taskbar customizations, but...
I'm not going to hold my breath.
Like you said above
over the time that 10's been out, I've gotten use to it and comfortable with it
That pretty much describes how I'll deal with Win11.
Afterall, it's not like I spend hours and hours of my time spent using my computer on the Start Menu or Taskbar.
I'll figure out the best ways for me to "get used to it" and get on with my life.

davehc

Reaction score
"Afterall, it's not like I spend hours and hours of my time spent using my computer on the Start Menu or Taskbar."

So true. And yet so many "complaints/queries on it.
Only real difference from 10 is that dratted waste of space square.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Same as always, people know what they like and apparently they don't like change.
I don't expect that to ever change and so... here we are.

I don't know how many bi-annual versions of Windows 10 we have seen, with very little change in the UI.
Personally, I was getting a little bored and I find the change "refreshing".
It gives me something new to carp about.

rfsmith7

Reaction score
Things like being able to right click anywhere on the start bar to open task manager instead of Win 11 having to right click on the start button to get task manager, or the same look and functions of the Win 10 start menu.
You can pin Task Manager to the taskbar if you use it a lot. Start -> Windows Tools and right-click on task manager to pin to taskbar.

Ask a Question